Dear typer-ers, you're doing it wrong!

by Simon 43 Replies latest forum tech-support

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i'm

FAR

too old to change.  Thats  MY EXCUSE.  innit.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I have to admit some of the OP truly made me lol
  • clarity
    clarity

Omg now I am afraid to use any of those squiggly things and periods and double bubbles and early withdrawal from the end of the sentence

damn I loved all those things

clarity 

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Tut tut, Too many spaces between paragraphs clarity! :P
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I knew only one space after a sentence was standard now, but I thought two spaces were still acceptable. It's really hard to change at my age, but I will try. 
  • troubled mind
    troubled mind

I am an old fart ! Deal with it ,and all my typo's ,and indented paragraphs . Too bad for all of you ,and my son ,who continually tells me I type horribly . (imagine an expletive right here >      <)   

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

Simon,

Where are you referencing these rules from? I am guilty of most of these infractions. In fact trying to type this is difficult, without using two spaces after the period. It is so natural for me. I was taught typing in 1992. I don't think these "rules" are right or wrong. It is more a preference or style. MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, APA Style, and Harvard Style all have various opinions on this subject. I'm only 38 but I guess I'm an old fart.

• Simon
    Simon

I made the OP up although they are generally recognized principles when it comes to typography and layout.

The principle tends to be having things "semantically correct". That means a period and space ends a sentence and a paragraph is marked by a single set of <p> ... </p> tags in HTML. The reason it is considered good practice is that the interpretation can be changed depending on the client. For example, if you prefer to look at things in a particular  fancy swirly font then it can have the perfect kerning of the spaces between sentences and also the perfect gap between paragraphs - not just what the author thought looked best based on their specific device and view.

Trust me, it's better.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Ye olde farte here.I was taught 2 spaces after a "full stop."Is the 1 space the rule for formal e-mails also?

Thank you for the tips.

Miss.Fit

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Uh oh! 

I'm not only an old fartess but a rotten typist as well. Puleeeese forgive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit