Tacking??? WHAT???

by VeniceIT 12 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Well I was sick and tired of hearing the WTS Tacking anaolgy to solver everything so I looked it up online!! I did this last summer and hadn't looked at till today, just thought I'd share!

I'm working on putting stuff together and actually getting a website but here's a page for now!

http://www.geocities.com/veniceexjw/tacking.html

Ven

• Seeker
    Seeker

Nicely done article, Venice. I've heard that the late Karl Klein wrote that tacking article. Boy has it served as a handy excuse ever since!

Yet when you think about it, what is the point of tacking in the context of sailing? It is to get from point A to point B despite heading into a wind. So you move one way, and then another way, and back to the first, but all the while making incremental progress! If you are not making steady progress, there isn't any point to it. Yet not one JW has ever been able to explain this conflict with the reality of tacking while sailing and what the WTS has done with its teachings. There is a major disonnect here.

You noted the example of Sodom and Gomorrah, a classic one. The example I like is alternative military service, for it affected thousands of young men within the organization. Russell had it right from the very beginning! Rutherford then changed it and it stayed changed until the mid-1990s, with so many young men going to prison for something that wasn't Biblical at all, and admitted as such in the mid-1990s!. So how was that tacking? How was progress made when they just went right back to their original belief? Why would God maneuver things to cause thousands of young men to go to prison over absolutely nothing?

Good article.

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

Very interesting reading! Thanks for posting Venice. Those GB folk are enough to make my vertigo act up! <taking double dose of anti-vert> Reminds one of a tennis game

BW

• joel
    joel

Good job V.....

one of my fav head-shakers!! ;o)

the Sodom understanding stuff.....all aaround the same time is too funny!!

Here's hopein' that when put all together....it turns on some light bulbs in dem Jdub brains!!!

Pax,
    Wingnut

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Venice,

Congratulations for your time and efforts spent in this ever
    fascinating research.
    Personally I do like very much the following:

* All Christians need to be “stabilized in the faith.” (Col. 2:6, 7) Then the changing winds of the moral philosophies of this world will not deceive or seduce us.

*18 In a world where people are tossed about by confusing winds of religious doctrine, Jehovah’s people need to be stable, full-grown Christians. (Eph. 4:13, 14)

(coming from a WTS article …!)

* They are being battered hither and thither by the winds of change, like a ship that has lost its moorings. They have no apparent guidelines. Rules prescribed yesterday are no longer valid today, and so people conclude that today’s rules will not be applicable tomorrow.
    Not even the Bible is accepted as an authority any longer."

(in the case of " g e n e r a t i o n " the WTS ignored the Bible warning
    "..do not go beyond the things written)!

* Waves and wind can break forth as quickly as they dissipate. Today, when it is planned for things to go obsolete, trends, fads, and fashions come and go. Things that were considered essential just a short while ago are completely outdated and forgotten."

(exactly what you, Venice, wanted to demostrate…)

*“that we should no longer be babes, tossed about as by waves and carried hither and thither by every wind of teaching by means of the trickery of men.”—Eph. 4:14, NW. "

(true base for a Bible study)

to Seeker:

"Yet when you think about it, what is the point of tacking in the context of sailing? It is to get from point A to point B despite heading into a wind. So you move one way, and then another way, and back to the first, but all the while making incremental progress! If you are not making steady progress, there isn't any point to it. Yet not one JW has ever been able to explain this conflict with the reality of tacking while sailing and what the WTS has done with its teachings. There is a major disonnect here."

Very logical and true.

Thanks again, Agape J.C. MacHislopp

• seven006
    seven006

Hey little sister,

you made my eyeballs hurt. I know you like the color purple and all, but if you change your type to black it will help old guys like me be able to read the words you have worked so hard on.

Just a small suggestion.

Dave

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Just for you Dave, just for you!!

Ven

• seven006
    seven006

Vennnnnn, you little vixen. Could you change the background color to white and then read it out loud to me? I hot cup of Cocoa would be nice too.

Now that I have you as a friend, I will never have to buy a puppy.

Thanks kid.

Dave

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

sorry about the backgroud color, but White is toooo boring!!! Get some Glasses!!!

What would you like in your cocoa????

Ven

• emyrose
    emyrose

Venice, u are turning into Norm, Kent, Farkel, AlanF, etc!!!

Thanks, your essay was an eye-opener.

Can you let me know how they have varied on the higher authorities
    issue thru the years. Or let me know where to find it on the net.
    I have thrown out most of my JW lit. so I'm in the dark.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit