Have you noticed this trend on social media amongst witnesses...?

by stuckinarut2 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It seems that every 2nd witness often posts pictures of themselves at conventions, or out in 'service'. (especially the "young-ones")

But I have noticed that they never seem to post anything about the actual "spiritual content" of their activity!

Instead, it is pictures of them with their witness "friends", along with some contrite comment like #bestlifeever (arrghhh)

Why don't they post content about the teachings or talk material?

Is it that they just don't care about that, and that their real focus or value is the relationships?

Or is it that they don't want to come across as being "over-righteous" or "super-spiritual"?

• Akid48
    Akid48

i would say as a kid they dont want to look super spiritual

and think if there posting that and kids at school look at there posts they would look even more weird than they might look now.Kids dont want that

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

There is a new name for this - Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values done primarily with the intent of enhancing standing within a social group. The term was first used in signalling theory, to describe any behavior that could be used to signal virtue—especially piety among the religious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

• steve2
    steve2

Witnesses are primed to be super-aware of how important it is to parade their values and standards.

There is a youth version of this with the usual adolescent tug-of-war between being spiritual and being cool ( bring cool almost always wins but bring spiritual is a close second, propelled by guilt at leaving it out altogether - but oh! the tension between the two).

But if JW Prince could do it, then these cool JW dudes can too. Super cool and super spiritual.

• compound complex
    compound complex

On my various pages where JWs post, there is virtually no original textual comment, just preformed Bible- and WT Society-based words with pretty pictures. Those memes may get a "so true" acknowledgement. For a while I posted JW-friendly Bible "reasoning from the Scriptures." Not any more.

Also, as mentioned, there are lots of photos of the group going out in service and those manning the cart.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Interesting observation - so true.

Of course you could hardly find photos of JW doing charity work - coz they don't ~

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

They're merely innocently replicating the gb and their outward appearance before men.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

It's a social club! All about appearances. You would be surprised how many drink in excess and are on every form of anti depressants when they return home. We know a bunch, including family.

• stillin
    stillin

Just plain shallow. I see this also with young ones who pair up getting ready to get married. "Aren't we a good-looking couple? We could be in an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog!" As if looks are everything. That's where the "love" comes in. "We LOVE how we look together!"

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

This is exactly the kind of witness GB wants now.

Shallow, vain and intellectually superficial. An emotionally stunted order follower.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit