Here comes another Newbie!

by adamgraziano 38 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Welcome, Adam!

I can really identify with you about not knowing what to do. I spent about three months mostly sitting around my house, unable to feel like there was much of anything I really wanted to do. I read a lot, which helped, and I started building relationships with people in the local community, including my neighbors and old friends I went to school with. It's been a slow rebuilding process, but I can see the progress. Hang in there, because it is definitely worth it.

Welcome again.

SNG

• ChimChim
    ChimChim

Welcome to the board Adam!!!

C.C

• dh
    dh

welcome to the jungle adamski!

dh'

• bebu
    bebu

Welcome to you, Adam. Nice to see another fresh face!!! Glad you found this board.

bebu

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Welcome Adam! Life can be difficult when you're first out, kinda like being released from prison after serving 20 years. There is life after the Witnesses, though, and you have the whole rest of your life ahead of you. I wish you all the luck in the world, and if your avatar is any indication, you should have no problem getting lucky!

• Jesika
    Jesika
    It's just so weird... I was born and raised in the truth, and don't know how to live my life without it !

Adam..........I soooooooooo understand what you are saying.

I was raised in the "truth" and didn't know how to live my life either. I was disfellowshipped at age 15( I am now 28) and was very confused. I lost everyone and everything I ever knew in my life.

I had to start all over and had not a clue as how to do that.

All I can say is to enjoy life as your own...........being raised in the "truth" we never had that chance........we only did as we were told.

So.......freedom is unfamiliar.....feels wrong.......uneasy.......but after time.......feels good.

Enjoy your freedom and explore everything you couldn't before. It is impowering....believe me it is, but take it in small steps.

You have found an awesome forum to do this............you can ask anything you want to and you have an abundance of info and experiences to help you on your way..........and not to mention........alot of friends........TRUE friends who will help you in anything you need. I never knew unconditional love till I met some of the people here.

Nice to meet you.

Love,

Jes

• smack
    smack

G'day and welcome.

Steve

Tasmanian Overbeer

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Welcome, Adam!!! You are right, it IS a great place! The people are the total opposite of what we found in the KH's!

Terri

• AlanB
    AlanB

Hi Adam, greetings from the other side of the world.

Like many others here I know exactly those feelings you describe. When I was leaving I used to wake up in the middle of the night scared, I used to look at myself in the mirror and not recognise who I was.

I spent about 5 years not even thinking about religion, then some time reading about many different belief systems. I did not find boards like this until around 5 years after I left and even then felt a little guilty, like opening pandora's box.

You may find that there is a lot of positive stuff you can take away with you from a Christian upbringing, I found it best to reflect on the positive. You now have total freedom to decide how you wish apply these values in todays world.

I only recently read Ray's book and even after 10 years it hit me that this was just another religion. I would reccomend it, it will help put everything into perspective.

Relating to other people may be difficult at first, for a while I felt like a foreigner in my own country. People in the world are not all bad, you will find people who share your interests and outlook, they will all have their own imperfections, however you may find an honesty in being able to relate to the imperfections in others and yourself without judement based on the old set of rules.

From now on you are a valuable and normal person in your own right with the same freedom of thought that we all now enjoy. Enjoy life, explore new ideas and people. In time you will build your own set of values based on your experiences. These are exciting times.

I wish you luck.

Alan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit