South Beach Diet

by Mulan 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am going to give this diet a go, after the New Year. Has anyone here tried it? I've been reading the book (I bought it yesterday) and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Princess' husband did this program a couple of months ago and lost a lot of weight, and brought his cholesterol down too. He didn't look overweight to me, but he was having problems with biking and working out, so took the weight off to help, and it worked.

I need to lose about 35 or 40 pounds and lower my cholesterol, which is pretty high after my last checkup. I've always had lower range numbers and it was high in November, and I refuse to take the drugs for it. I figure the numbers were high because of the stress over my mother and we had just gotten home the day before I had the blood test, from Joy and Steve's weekend Halloween bash, where I ate great food, but not low calorie at all.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Marilyn,

You do not need to lose 35 - 40 pounds! You look fine as you are. Most folks look better for losing about 8 - 10 pounds, after that the weight comes off the face and just makes a person look older than they are.

People over 50 are not meant to be scrawny!

Mike.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Hi Marilyn,

I bought the book too and it does look like a good diet, healthy too. I only know one person who has done the diet successfully which is why I checked into it. I hope to start it for the new year too, that and back to the gym and training for a couple of century rides ought to whip me into shape eh? This cold, wet climate doesn't do well for me and bike riding, ugh!

I also went to www.southbeachdiet.com and there is a lot more information there you might be interested in as well, it looked good to me.

Happy dieting!

Kate

• Mulan
    Mulan
    You do not need to lose 35 - 40 pounds!

Mike, you are such a sweetie,.....................and such a LIAR!!!

People over 50 are not meant to be scrawny!

My doctor said the same thing, and she asked me to be sure I was losing weight for the right reason and added that when a woman gets to be my age, she can carry more weight than when she was younger. I picked those numbers (35-40 pounds) because I know what the scale says. In 1995 I was a size 12 (I am a bit tall) and the weight was perfect for me. Now I am upping the weight about 15 pounds from then, so it seems about right to me. My newly married weight was about 65 pounds less than I am now, which seems unreal.

I weigh more now than I did pregnant full-term with my kids, at my highest weight.

Mike, you get a big hug the next time I see you. Thanks!!

• Mulan
    Mulan
    back to the gym and training

Me too, Kate. I had the flu in November, and then had to move my mother, which was a big job, and haven't really gotten back to the gym regularly since then. I am going back for sure this week, and will be doing my yoga again too. That really helps with the stress and makes me sleep better too.

One thing I noticed about that diet is that you can't drink any alcohol for the first two weeks, so I have to say "bye bye" to my Scotch. If they said you had to give up coffee, I would give the book away. That's asking too much. I love my Scotch, but can live without it. The coffee is a staple, I'm afraid.

• wednesday
    wednesday

The South Beach is really just a version of the Atkins. It has leaner protein, less fat and more carbs in the inital phase than the Atkins.

• Mulan
    Mulan

That's true, Wednesday, but even my doctor said this one was a good diet. She hated Atkins and said it was very hard on the heart and the kidneys, especially for a woman my age.

At my gym, they don't recommend Atkins and say it is the worst diet out there, for health reasons.

• Englishman
    Englishman

There's a big drive on over here to get the nation fit. Essentially it involves everyone eating 5 portions of vegetables a day and upping your heart rate on a daily basis by brisk walking. Stopping smoking is essential of course.

I do all that and feel fine. Otherwise I'm 15 pounds more than I should be, but I have no intention of changing that. My favourite food goes out of the window, no more beer either. The price is too high!

Mike.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

yeah what wednesday said:

The South Beach is really just a version of the Atkins. It has leaner protein, less fat and more carbs in the inital phase than the Atkins.

What appealed to me is the whole grains they allow on this diet and the low fat. It seems very ballanced. I was listening to Dr. Phil's diet show the other day and his diet seems to be very much like the Southbeach one. Does anyone know anything about Dr. Phil's diet? I guess his book will be out soon if it's not already, I sorta wanted to see what his program is like too.

Oh and coffee is a biggy for me too Mulan, I gave up Scotch long time ago but it (next to gin and tonic's) is my favorite alcoholic mixer! Oh well I still have coffee! The worste thing for me and these diets is that they never allow Creamora, thats CREAMORA not Coffemate.........I can't live without Creamora in my coffee and uggg back to sweetner, yuck! I like real sugar in my coffee too! Drat! Damn diets anyway!

Sheese.........I'm already talking myself out of it! LOL

Kate (who needs a kick in the butt)

• Mulan
    Mulan

Mike, if I were only 15 pounds overweight, I would be ecstatic.

Another issue for me is inherited obesity. My grandmother and her sister, and their mother were all terribly overweight, by at least 100 pounds or more. My grandmother lived to be 89 years old, and was extremely healthy for an obese woman, no cancer or heart disease, and her blood pressure was on the low side, like mine is. But, her mother died at age 48 and had heart disease and diabetes. Grandma's sister died at about age 70, and was pretty crippled because of her extreme weight. Her feet and ankles were damaged from her weight, and she couldn't sleep in a bed, or she would suffocate. She weighed about 400 pounds. I have had that genetic predisposition held over me my whole life, and have always felt fat, even when I wasn't. I look at photos taken over the years, where I thought I was grotesque and I was thin. That I regret!

But I know if I don't do something now, I will be just like my obese family. I am the only cousin, who inherited grandma's tendency to be fat too. That stinks! I look like her too, and she was really pretty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit