Special K

And a jolly old soul was HE!

He called for his pipe

and he called for his bow

and he called for his fiddlers three.

special K

• CruithneLaLuna
    CruithneLaLuna

I'd have been surprised if Dr. Stevenson hadn't been criticized.

I haven't read Stevenson's books, which I understand are encyclopedic in size, nor have I even read a detailed synopsis of his work. I have read a couple of general summaries, and the book Old Souls : Compelling Evidence from Children Who Remember Past Lives, by Thomas Shroder, a journalist who accompanied Stevenson on "field work" in Lebanon and India. Some of the cases Shroder relates are unconvincing, clearly involving something other than genuine past life memories, but others are much more difficult to explain away.

One cannot have read every book pro and con. I know enough about Stevenson's work to consider it interesting, and suggestive that reincarnation may occur. Most who write on the subject acknowledge that reincarnation may never be proven scientifically ... so for those for whom only the scientifically proven and provable are interesting, I suppose reincarnation is for us "other people" to speculate about.

I've read a few "debunking" books, and in general they are not my cup of tea. Overall, I find the debunkers' mentality much more annoying than that of those who devote their time, and even their lives, to "far-out stuff."

Cruithne

• obiwan
    obiwan

I find it interesting that people need to read a book to confirm there beliefs. I myself have never read any books on the subject of reincarnation. I find for myself that it's a deep genuine feeling. It's what I KNOW to be true, for myself. As a child I often wondered about my past lives, and how long I've gone around on the "wheel".

For me, if I need to do any research on the subject, I don't have to look any further than myself.

• Enishi
    Enishi

I was pondering over the Buddhist concept of anatman, and realized that it might not be so much that we have an eternal soul as it is that we are "part" of a soul. The soul manifests itself in different reincarnations, all of which occur in the eternal now (from the soul's perspective). After we die, our memories and sense of self are copied into the soul in the same manner that a computer program might gain new information from the characters in a virtual game or world. It is only for a certain period of time that this higher astral consciousness maintains the illusion of being a separate self, because nothing is truly separate from anything else.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Meditating in front of a mirror, poorly focused, i felt like i was other people: old german soldier, who commited suicide after defeat, spanish conquistidor, woman among women in some sort of group. Wierd stuff. Were they hallucinations, or past lives? I really don't know. Memory is a funny thing.

SS

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

I think I am definitely an "old soul". I too feel recycled, and am going through more now-I still have much to learn, but am struck by how much I do know now at my age. It is not an uncommon thing for me to hear "You are so fortunate to have learned that so young". Also, when around other people close in age, I seem to be so much more mature in some things..not bragging here, but it strikes me as odd sometimes that we don't relate as equals even though we often are in age.

Gumby, I meant to post on your "Ghost" thread, but have had major doodoo flying around at my house lately, and it's not ghosts! However, ALL of my life I have heard spirits (the dead) and have seen a few as well. Part of my childhood I was raised in the Southwest, and was taken to a lot of Indian ruins. I distinctly remember that being the first time I heard other people talking. I must have been about 6. To me, they just lived there, and it was perfectly normal to hear them and know that they were there. It was only when I realized that others could not hear them as I did that I became afraid and questioned what was to later be discovered as quite a gift. Sometimes irritating for sure, but now I know there are many people just like me. All this is to say that I think being an "old soul" has everything to do with why I have this gift.

mystic mobbie...rofl...

• marriedtodamob
    marriedtodamob

and no...I am NOT schizo! It is not "hearing voices" like that AT all! ( I have been around someone who was and hoo-boy that was scary...) Anyone else out there who feels like they have antennae or a satellite dish on their head? BTW...my brother is the same, but his gift is a bit different. He sees more of them than I do, and I hear them more than he does. We are both Scotch/Irish and were told by our Irish mother and maternal grandmother that we both had "The Sight" when we were very little.

mobbie

• Momofmany
    Momofmany
    our Irish mother and maternal grandmother that we both had "The Sight" when we were very little.

I remember my grandmother saying the same thing to my sister and I. Scary thing sometimes ain't it.(I know improper english)

I don't know know how old my soul is, but I know I'm tired. I don't think I can go another round. I like the thought of the dead conscience of nothing. I need some sleep.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I have a 16 year old spirit with a 70 year old man's wisdom. How does that figure out to be?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

There's a saying:
    "At 18 a boy thinks his father is an idiot.
    At 21 he's surprised how much the old man has learnt in the last three years."

Maybe that'll help ya figure it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit