Atheists and prayer

by Narkissos 22 Replies latest jw friends

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I actually gave up praying before I gave up believing. I suppose that on a subconcious level, I realized that the prayers were just going out the window, before I actually got around to facing the fact that there was no one on the receiving end.

Do I pray now? - Only when my mother is at our house for a meal. But, that's just a ritual to avoid a confrontation. Otherwise, no.

• rem
    rem

I stopped praying for a while when I was still a believer just to see if anything would change. I guess that's the scientist in me - always experimenting. Nothing changed... my life didn't go to hell, and things were going pretty well. I can't remember if I ever started back up praying again. I don't think I did.

Sometimes I will get the urge to pray when I get anxious about things. I think it's just from years of conditioning. I haven't actually prayed when this happens, but usually I'll kinda talk to myself in my head encourage myself. I wish there were a supreme being looking after me, but I just don't believe that's the case so I don't see any sense in pretending he/she/it/they exist.

I have done a couple of hilarious/blasphemous dinner prayers, say for Thanksgiving... but that was just for fun. :)

rem

• patio34
    patio34

I haven't prayed once since leaving almost 3 years ago. Being atheist, what would be the point? But I have meditated from time to time, but didn't find it particularly helpful either. What has been of assistance to me is writing when I'm trying to reach a decision.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit