Atheists and prayer

by Narkissos 22 Replies latest jw friends

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I'd have to apply the same comment to the atheists who claim they are "tolerant", but then go ahaead and prove similarly hypocritical.

Agreed... but it is difficult for one to appear tolerant when they are sticking up for their viewpoint.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Much as I don't like folks coming here and preaching (especially when they have no JW background) I do find it ironic that they are called "judgmental" (you'll need to read that comment in context).
    Can ya think of an appropriate name for such an atheist?
    Or should we think of a new name for Christians who present their viewpoint forcefully?

Double-standards suck, huh?

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Agreed... but it is difficult for one to appear tolerant when they are sticking up for their viewpoint.

Watson... I don't think there's anything wrong with sticking up for your viewpoint when it's challenged, or participating in an exchange of views.

Sometimes it seems on this site, however, that any time anyone expressed a Christian viewpoint or starts a thread about Christian ideas, an atheist comes in and starts criticizing Christianity. Now that's intolerance.

And btw, I don't think you've ever done that.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Watson:
    I just want to agree with Euph, in that my comments weren't directed at you, personally. They were far more general.

Usually it doesn't bother me, but there's been an increase in it recently.
    I'm starting to find it offensive, and that's unusual for me...
    ...something to think about - that a particular type of behaviour is even offending the normally placid and tolerant LT...
    ...is it time for a re-think and a little consideration, do ya thunk???

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LT: Please read my introducing post again and consider where the aggression and intolerance came from. My question was especially addressed to "fellow unbelievers", although constructive contributions such as DoubleEdge's or yours were welcome of course.

Personnally I feel free to post (respectfully enough, I hope) on believers' threads, since I'm still interested in theology. If there is an unwritten rule of separation between believers and unbelievers on this board, I think we will all miss something very important. I certainly do not hold believers to be silly, and I think it would be great for believers not to consider "spirituality" their exclusive realm.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nark:
    In light of recent thread derailing and intolerance, I decided to do a little of my own, for a change.
    Sorry if your thread became the ground on which it was done...
    ...actually, I hope this thread gets some responses, because it's a question that I've wondered myself.

Other than that, I agree with your comments entirely, my friend

~takes off size nine bovver boots, and tiptoes out~

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Although I do not believe in God anymore, I still "pray" from time to time. An excess of anxiety, or joy, can lead me to "prayer", although I do not imagine anyone "listening to me".

I have come to believe that prayer is a form of goal setting and repeating affirmations. Both seem to work, so it seems logical to me.

I don't pray, but I do set goals and repeat often, the things I want to accomplish and achieve, even material goals. It could be a useful way to release anxiety or stress, so why not?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

LT & Euph:

I understand what you guys are saying completely. Sometimes both sides are guilty of being completely tactless...

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I don't pray but I do occasionally talk to myself, which at least has the advantage that I know someone's listening!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

bttt, for answers to the original question.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit