Rest in Peace Martin Luther King- THIS was an Honorable Man

by flipper 18 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

Agree flipper..People that have the ability to shape history and change the world for better, Mandela, Gandhi, King, M. Teresa and Lincoln...

• flipper
    flipper

JAMES - Indeed, I agree very much with you. If King had not been assassinated perhaps he would have been able to prevent some of the strong racist division lingering in our country presently. He is definitely missed for sure. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Flipper what you just said is very true. His death stop progress in race relations in so many ways. Sunday my wife and I had the chance to listen to Professor Heron Simmons-Price. He is a Professor of political science at Canisius College in Buffalo. He is a leader in his community on racial problems for decades. I ask the question how can we help by bridging the Gap between races? His answer was just show kindness .

Professor Simmons-Price is Jamaica born. He knows what racism is. He has lived it. But he stressed to me showing kindness to everyone is his biggest weapon in bringing people of different races together. His answer was so simple but so effective. I will never forget this instruction he gave me. Thank you for bringing this subject up. Take care my friend. Still Totally ADD

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub
    flipper
    he would have been able to prevent some of the strong racist division

Strong racial division has it's roots firmly founded in the bible. Wasn't it yhwh that specifically told the Israelite to totally annihilate any non-Israelite. In order to annihilate them they must have first of all needed to hate them because of their race. So racism is a godly thing?

I agree that MLK was a great man and that he certainly had a big set of b____s.

just saying!

• Outahere
    Outahere

MLK was a hard drinker who frequently hired prostitutes and embezzled church money.

• Simon
    Simon

He had multiple extra-marital affairs, so a bit of a hypocrite as a "minister" (but then what's new ...)

So honorable? It depends on the context.

This is the problem with today - if someone isn't all good, then they are all bad. People can't accept any good from someone if they see any bad OR they are suddenly willing to overlook the bad if they agree with the cause.

Maybe instead of trying to create saints and sinners, we just look at each thing in isolation. He doesn't have to be a nice man or honorable or many other things. He did good things for an important cause and should be applauded for that.

• Outahere
    Outahere

Good point man.

• flipper
    flipper

STILL TOTALLY ADD- Great points you bring up indeed. Kindness is a magical elixir that can move mountains. All of us need to increase our use of kindness, including myself.

EYEUSE2BADUB- Good points you bring up. Lots of prejudices pushed forth in the Bible. I feel throughout history religion and political views have been the vehicles that people in public and private use to promote those prejudices. MLK wasn't a saint, had faults- but his heart was in the right place wanting equality for people of all skin colors.

OUTAHERE- Well, lots of men on this planet like JFK, a guy named Trump, and others had moral deficiencies and are good at allegedly money laundering from Russian countries - allegedly - Trump and his cronies- but the difference between Trump and JFK & MLK is that the latter two men actually cared more about helping others than helping themselves.

SIMON- You make very good points indeed. Lots of famous men in history have moral skeleton's in their closet. They aren't all good or all bad. However some with moral weaknesses cared more about helping the public in general than those who seek only to please themselves. MLK sought to help restore race relations and with the divided spirit in the USA right now- his input would definitely have been helpful now

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It makes me sad, that for nearly three decades as a JW, such incredible human beings were dismissed as insignificant, futile and worthy of judgment at Armageddon.

Meanwhile the JW’s are in awe of Russell, Rutherford and the WT leaders, who have contributed naught to the world, to society or humanity.

One brought equality, the others blood transfusion bans and shunning of loved ones... yet they are the ones who are loved and respected.

Shameful.

MLK ..... an incredible inspiration to humanity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit