Does anyone have copies of the WT tax exempt paperwork?

by WireRider 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• WireRider
    WireRider

The WT/JW has a presence in my town. Tax exempt status. From what I understand the WT/JW is a for profit group that is taking advantage of the community as a whole. I see a few KH in the area. Few if any taxes. Simply put, claiming they are above taxes that everyone else pays.

Why?

I have never once seen in any way that the WT/JW helps the general good of the town/community in any way. All I see is a plague of JW knocking on door an bothering people who want them to leave town. It's like a plague of locus looking to drain/bleed the money of the local communities one-by-one. NEVER any give back to the community as tax exempt.

I would welcome a mailing list of JW in my area, and I will go door to door.

• sir82
    sir82
    They are a religion. In the US, religions are tax-exempt, no matter how much you may personally like or dislike them.
  • WireRider
    WireRider

sir82 -

Many organizations have lost their tax exempt status as religious frauds. The proof would really be in the paperwork. The WT created (changed) the JW specifically as a tax dodge to bypass taxes. If it were shown that the printing/real estate are the primary for profit entities, it could change.

So if the Watchtower (for profit) has a new building they can just claim it as sub-company as JW and dodge taxes by claiming "religion". I don't know why many more real estate companies don't pull this scam.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Many organizations have lost their tax exempt status as religious frauds

Here in the US? Care to name a few...I'm assuming that is where you are.

The Scientologists backed down the IRS. The JWs aren't going to lose their tax exempt status here, dare I say until all religions lose that status. Find another way to fight them.

• WireRider
    WireRider
    L R Hubbard spent his last years on a boat 15 miles out in international waters so the who he could get caught on tax fraud.
  • EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I don't know of any other mainstream religion that does NOT give to the poor and provide any sort of public assistance. Scientologists have many charities, etc.

If religions are tax free for public benefit in giving to poor, etc, then WT would fail. I think the emergency construction insurance scams are what they show to say they do charity but the authorities should know they only go to members and even though a lot if not all of materials are donated and the labor is free yet they ask for the entire insurance money. So they MAKE money on those.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There is no requirement for a church in the US to "give back to the community".

I researched NY nonprofit law and tried to find paperwork. What I found indicated the NY corporations were established so long ago that any paperwork is long gone.

I tried to get tax paperwork but could not. As far as I could tell, they did have to file something every few years with the state and fed, but when I did a request from the governments and wts, I got no reply. At the time, I had found a rule indicating the wts was supposed to provide it upon request, and so was the gov't. You may find the details in my old posts--I don't remember more details.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

L R Hubbard spent his last years on a boat 15 miles out in international waters so the who he could get caught on tax fraud.

Nice dodge. L Ron Hubbard is an individual, not an organization.

One more time...please name the many organizations that have lost their tax exempt status as religious frauds as you asserted above.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Here is the latest form 990-T they filed with the IRS. But there doesn't seem to be much information there, mostly real estate income.
  • poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Interesting Time magazine article about this subject
    http://time.com/3939143/nows-the-time-to-end-tax-exemptions-for-religious-institutions/

I could be wrong about this, but my understanding is that organizations who classified themselves as religions were exempt from taxes to uphold the church/state notion - you stay out of our business and we'll stay out of yours. The problem is that religion isn't staying out of government business and constantly lobbying to change or influence laws based on religious belief. This sucks (or blows, depending on your perspective) and a change is very much needed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit