My Job

by Nosferatu 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I wanted to get your opinions on this since it's been bothering me for quite a while.

When I was hired at my job more than 5 years ago, the place was busy as hell. I was originally hired to help in the circuit board manufacturing. The guy who was doing it was flooded with work and couldn't keep up. After a few months, I was given the position of a guy who had quit - testing and repairs. I was incredibly happy to take this spot, and I do it very well.

For 3 years, I was seeing an increase in staff here. They were hiring quite a few new people. Also, every year I'd get 2 bonuses at $1000 a shot. I was also given decent yearly raises.

In the past 2 years, I've noticed that people have either left or have been fired, and there has been nobody hired to replace them. Work has also slowed down quite a bit. The guy I was originally hired to help has found himself lacking work.

In the two years following, the bonuses have gone down quite a bit. This year, I only recieved one bonus of $400. I also noted that we didn't have a summer party this year, as we've had ever since I worked here.

Just recently, I have completed a course which my workplace paid half. This year, I recieved the lowest raise I've ever got. I've also been told that they're going to get me to help build pallets and crates in the shipping area.

Now, is it just me, or is my company starting to go down the shitter?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I would say your company is having finacial problems. Dont be surprised if they go bankrupt I have three friends in buisness for many year thriving- but have told me they are on the verg of closing up...No buisness. So be prepared .....

• Dansk
    Dansk

Nos,

Time to look around for other work, I'd say - just in case!

Working for the last 5 years will certainly look good on your CV. While I admire your loyalty to your company, its loyalty to you will disappear once it goes into liquidation. It seems you should get out now before you're forced out - and that could come at a time when you are financially stretched.

It's your choice Nos and I wish you well,

Ian

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Hi Nos!

Have your resume updated, prepare to leave in the best of terms should the need arise, and start doing your homework as to good future employers.

DY

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    It seems you should get out now before you're forced out - and that could come at a time when you are financially stretched.

I'm already financially stretched! My wedding's coming up in June.

The only thing that has kept me going thus far is studying the records of my repairs. The number increases every year by about 20. I've had to learn how to test and repair things that were manufactured in the mid 80s that people are still using. There's also another company who's invested in my repair skills. They send us products that another company manufactures for me to test and repair.

This is definately going to require a lot of thinking. This is only the second full time job I've ever had. Hard to imagine leaving a place I've settled into quite well, but it seems as if warning signs are popping up.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Nos

We live in an ever increasing society of disposable products. I work for a telecom firm that sells and installs both land line and wireless communications. When a product fails, and it is not under warranty, it is usually trashed and replaced. It is no longer economically feasable to repair it. Most of the electronics are manufactured offshore and in automated factories.

We have 2 people here who used to do a lot of board repair, but it becomes less and less every year.

You may want to go into business for yourself, and operate out of home. There will always be someone willing to get special items repaired, and if you offered the service yourself, it would be more realistically priced.

• onintwo
    onintwo

There's always janitorial. (see any JW's congregation membership for leads)

Onintwo

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Well Nosferatu, it may be time to update your resume.

Who knows what is happening. Some business hit peaks and valleys. Doesn't necessarily mean they are going down the hole, but one has to be prepared.....just in case.

Honestly, the job you have, I would think despite some of the testing of older equipment, that it would be busy. I hope things are simply slow, not going down hill.

Wishing for the best, as we know the big day is coming up in six months.

Take care, hope all is well otherwise Ben.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year 2004.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Jehovahs will provide, just get your butt back out in service.

• smurfy
    smurfy

I feel your pain. I work in mortgage processing which has been the main source of income for the bank this year. Actually just about the only source. I got a third of the raise I got last year and half the amount for a year end bonus. It does sound like your company may possibly be winding down but the economy hasn't done real wonders for anyones career lately. I know how hard it is to think of changing jobs at this time in your life. I have been considering the same and freelife and I are getting married May 1, 2004. It's always a good idea to keep your eye open though. Congratulations on the wedding and good luck!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit