A question regarding letters of disassociation....

by logansrun 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Poztate
    Poztate

I think the local elders have the final say on how they handle it.If they regard the person as a trouble maker they are probally relieved to get the DA letter.They no longer have to think about the matter.It is not about compassion,humanity or love for your fellow man.It's about getting rid of a problem so they don't have to deal with it.

• Gadget
    Gadget

Welcome to the board, snowy and fairmind.

This isn't Jehovah's fault, it is due to the arrogance of man.

Too true. Isn't one of the identifying marks of the true religion the love that they will show? How much love does actions like these show they have.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    So, Marilyn, what legal action did your niece take as a result of their reading the announcement?

She didn't do anything, because she found out about it six months later, when her ex husband told her she was disassociated. She never knew until then.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I'm telling you, this really blows my mind. In the Witness world, DA'ing is about the most evil thing you can possibly do. Remember the absolute mortification of hearing that someone had DA'd? And in every case I've heard of so far, there has been no attempt at confirmation. It's like, "Hmph. Well, I guess another one bites the dust, eh? Anyway, you up for service tomorrow?"

WT lurkers: doesn't this seem totally in-credible to you?

Brian

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

just my 2 cents (from one who's never been a JW).... I truly think most of the "outside world" thinks of JWs as people who walk their streets on Saturday morning trying to peddle religious magazine, and a few have heard about the pedophile issue. I also think it would be a HUGE story, media wise, if the "world" became aware of how families are turned upside down when someone tries to leave this religion. Can you imagine if the stories really got out about the shunning when someone voluntary wants to quit and the alienation and breakup it brings in families.... think of the suicides alone that are a result of this.... I think it would bring "new light" in the minds of the "worldlies" when they see the Saturday morning door knockers approaching.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Have you seen how the latest SARS patient is quarantined away? Think he is getting many visitors? That poor guy reminds me of how a weak or failing or leaving Jehovah's Witness is treated by the rest of the flock. Obviously, "apostacy" is highly contagious and fatal. You don't think the elders want to catch the "disease", do you?

Fearmongers.

• Gordy
    Gordy

I attended my last JW meeting in August 1999. . No letter, no phone call. It was September 2001 before any Elder called on me, I was out at the time. Then it was only part of their campaign to get "inactive" ones back, as there numbers were dropping. That made me decide to DA . I wrote to them saying that I had not heard from them for 2 years and now the only reason they turn up to see me is just to get me back to make the numbers up. The fact that for 2 years they showed no concern for my welfare shows how they view there members, just as numbers.

You know what really made it worse is that the Elder who called to see me, and who was my book study leader, lived just a 5 minute walk away from me up the road. Also another elder lived just a little bit further and 2 Min. Servants lived close by. And none of them could in 2 years find time to walk down the road to see me. Should have expected it really, in the 3 years I was in that congregation, I only had 2 "shepherding" calls and that was to tell me to do more on the service

After I had sent my DA letter, I had no one contact me to try and make me change my mind. Mind up that could be to do with the fact that I also enclosed 20 pages of material showing the falseness of WT teachings, false prophecies etc, that may have put them off coming

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    You know what really made it worse is that the Elder who called to see me, and who was my book study leader, lived just a 5 minute walk away from me up the road. Also another elder lived just a little bit further and 2 Min. Servants lived close by. And none of them could in 2 years find time to walk down the road to see me. Should have expected it really, in the 3 years I was in that congregation, I only had 2 "shepherding" calls and that was to tell me to do more on the service

That's what ya get when you use "untrained volunteers"!

Could you imagine what would happen if the police department, fire department, or medical services used "untrained volunteers"?

"Yes your honor... I'm Mr. Elsewhere's legal representation and an untrained volunteer"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit