Opinion: Should Saddam Die?

by seattleniceguy 35 Replies latest social current

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

Yes. Eventually, Saddam will die.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Thanks, Euph.

I was worried that this post might earn me some serious demerits. I just got back from lunch, where I discussed it with a friend, one of the few people that agreed with me. I thought a lot about an earlier post today which I already quoted, but which contained the question:

How would you feel if your brother was pulled out of a classroom one day and shot because he disagreed with Bush's war on terror? Maybe he wasn't shot right away either, maybe he spends a week with a car-battery clamped to his genitals?

I think this is a good example because it seems like the natural response in this kind of situation. But, really, imagine that this has happened to you. You now have the culprit and he is proven guilty beyond doubt. As you inflict kind-for-kind punishment to him, as you clamp a car-battery to his genitals and watch him suffer for a week before shooting him, does this make you feel better about your brother? Does it refresh you emotionally? Does it make you a better person? Does it make society better?

Instead, are you not resurrecting the violence yourself? Are you not perpetuating the evil by keeping it alive through repetition? Are you not scarring yourself and your society?

Why would he be sad and miserable? He would have spent the best years of his life living like a king, with almost no repurcussions. He would be better off than if he had never been caught.

Is a bum on the street happy knowing that he once was a CEO living in the lap of luxury? Saddam Hussein will be a sad and miserable man because he will be forced to face the reality that his own actions have resulted in being condemned by his own people, the deaths of his children, and the capitulation of his government. And that's if he never makes the next step and begins to think about his folly in a larger sense.

Indeed, if sheer infliction of pain is the goal, keeping him alive surely wins. Instead of a quick out, he is forced to think about his course in confinement, for years. I don't think the infliction of pain should be the primary goal, but it does come with the punishment.

Perhaps we should take satisfaction in ridding the world of an evil despot.

The world is rid of an evil despot. With the proper precautions, Saddam will never again rise to power or be free. The question is whether we should take satisfaction in destroying a human.

it wouldn't take too much to pay off someone and spring an imprisioned Saddam.

No, certainly not if the proper safeguards were missing. I agree that there are pragmatic concerns that need to be addressed.

I just feel like the whole concept that "people get what they got coming" is responsible for the cycle of violence that we see. I just don't see how it helps us emotionally as individuals, or as a society in whole. It seems just like just the opposite is the reality - when we approve of revenge, we hurt ourselves individually and as a society.

Well, I knew I'd encounter strong views. I certainly mean no harm - I am exploring the topic in my own mind as well. Thank you all for discussing this topic with me.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I don't believe in capital punishment, but I think Saddam Hussein is a unique case. That is to say, in his case, I am not concerned whether he receives a death penalty or not, I am concerned for the long term stability of the region.

What are the implications for the Iraqi people and the region in general if he lives out his life in prison? What are the implications if he is executed?

I am sure that the primary reason that the American governmet is happy to stand back and let an Iraqi adminstration conduct the trial and sentencing is that this brutalised country is going to do exactly what the US wants and execute him. Nonetheless, I think this is the best way for his fate to be decided. I am persuaded by the argument that if the UN did not want to get involved in removing him from power, and most of the European countries did not consider Iraq a security threat, why should these parties have any role in the trial and sentencing of Saddam Hussein.

There are some excellent thoughts in the BBC article. Well worth reading. Of course, if you're reading this, then you are likely to have read other posters views and contributions too, and if you just butt on in and post without reading the thread, then you won't see this anyway.

Finally, I am not suggesting that there is any doubt as to his crimes, but I am somewhat bemused by how important it is to have "fair and open" trial when the verdict has already been reached, and the sentence is pretty much already been decided.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Osama still running, the essential "villain"'s role will not be vacant: Saddam may die.

Btw, how's Pinochet doing?

• sandy
    sandy

SNG, I really enjoy all you have to offer on this board. Welcome!

I agree with much of what you have said. It is our human compassion that makes us think twice about an "eye for an eye". We must think of all the innocent people who lost their lives or had their lives shattered because of Saddam's heinous crimes.

What about the victims who want such justice? You and I may think of murdering Saddam as just revenge and we may not understand their feelings but we cannot deny them this even if such justice will not alleviate their pain or bring them peace of mind.

When someone is truly remorseful for his or her actions they prove it by accepting their punishment. If Saddam is truly sorry the only way we may ever know this for sure is if he leaves behind a memoir before his death. Some people are beyond this and are incapable of being truly sorry. I may be wrong but I truly believe Saddam is filled with evil and I do not think he will ever see the error of his way.

It was a pathetic sight seeing him tired, disoriented, old and living in a hole. But we should not let that sight cloud our minds and confuse our rational. If the decision were mine, I personally would not kill him or torture him in any way. But still, I would not deny such justice to be administered for the sake of the victims. If not in all cases, at least in this one instance it should be the victims who get to decide on the punishment.

Many are asking why didn't he fight back or even kill himself? I wonder this myself. I do not have an opinion on that just yet.

• Badger
    Badger

The only provision I would allow for a death penalty in is Mass Murder...Bin Laden, Tim McVeigh, Ted Bundy, etc...

I'm still against the war in Iraq, but Saddam should be up for the gallows...

• onintwo
    onintwo

My one possible reservation to the death penalty here in the states has always been about the possibility we could be executing an innocent person. With recent DNA evidence returning more and more convicted felons to freedom, the issue is even more poignant.

However, with Saddam, my feelings are salved. He is guilty, as his trial will demonstrate of horrible crimes. Unspeakable crimes. Such a person should pay with his life. Obviously, Saddam holds that as his dearest possession or why else would he have surrendered to his captors? He values his life over every thing he told his troops and loyalists. (fight til the death, etc.) Justice declares he forfeit his life. A sense of justice is something inate, within all of us, any culture, and not something we learn. Don't try to overthink this one, it's a no brainer!

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I too, felt compassion for the man when I saw his picture, and the hole he was living in. Then I remembered how he had all these beautiful palaces, incredible wealth, and how he thought nothing of killing people in droves via his Chemical Ally drones...I am glad he was uncomfortable. I hope he was fearful..he should be relieved that he was captured for a little bit anyway.

Should he die....hmmmmmm.HMMMMMM....yes by the hands of the iraqi peeps...let them decide what to do with him. I don't think he is any better than Pol Pot.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I am usually the first person in line to give somebody a break. However, our society of mankind has specific codes that human beings need to adhere to. Saddam did not adhere to any of these rules. Because he treated his fellow man with such disregard, he will have to pay the social price. That price is his death.

How can it be anything any different?

The Iraqi people will decide his fate, and I'm certain they will mete out something that will be just in their eyes. His followers are very upset with him that he did not commit suicide when he knew he was captured. They indicate that he was weak and a coward.

He has escaped death many times, but now I think he will have to face his punnishment. So be it.

• freedom96
    freedom96

This man caused millions to suffer. I don't have compassion for this man at all.

While I support the death penalty, and certainly for this man too, I also feel that if one was sent to prison for life, with hard labor only, I would be ok with that too. But none of these country club prisons. Hard core time, with little or no privledges.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit