4 every WT that a member reads,presumely 4 R read by non-members

by badboy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I never read the study articles before mom studied them with me before the meeting. One of my most amusing memories was when a friend was sleeping over and we were told to study our WT ourselves. We spent a furious 5 minutes hunched over my desk with a pen underlining..

I always read the first article of the awake and as soon as it started getting to the point where every second line was a bible quote I skimmed or skipped until the end. I scan read the other "general interest" articles with the occasional one I was actually interested in being read. I never really read the watchtower at all, save perhaps the life stories.

The best presentation ever if you don't care was given to our cong. by a circuit overseer once.

"The reason I'm calling is to share this article. *read title* Ask what they think. *nod* This article points to the bible's view/solution. *flip to the section that talks about God's promises, hold it out and ask if they would like to read it.*

Rinse and repeat. You don't have to know squat about the article, though I agree thumbing it during the field service group is a good plan.

Mysterious' last time in field service is this friday, if you're still religious pray no one will be home.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Go Mysterious! I've seen this December 29 date bantied about, and I have to admit, I'm pretty pumped for you even though I don't know what is happening! :)

You know, it's funny about the magazines. I could never place them. And I got so sick of them stacking up that I reduced my order to one copy of each. Since magazines no longer came in the mail, that meant for anyone smart enough to do the math (1 minus 1 = 0) that I wasn't placing any of my own mags. I just started borrowing a set from someone, which was nice because if I didn't place them I could give 'em back!

The really funny thing is that during this time, I considered myself totally loyal - probably more loyal then ever before. When I went out in service, I used the Bible almost exclusively. By the end, I didn't really give a flying squirrel whether I placed any literature. I would just share a couple off-the-beaten-path scriptures and apply them to some current event. I remember a few people looking at me with admiration when they saw my technique. Maybe they were jealous of my being free of "magazine burden." It certainly was refreshing not having to work against an endlessly accruing pile all the time.

'Course, it's way more refreshing not having to deal with "WT burden."

SNG

• Gordy
    Gordy

If the WT print 24 million Watchtowers and there are 6m JW's, and they all have a personal copy. That leaves 18m WT's to place in service. But that only gives each JW 3 WT's to place.

I remember when I was Magazine Servant the amount of magazine that were never claimed by brothers/sisters. We had a stack of about 300 at one time, Elders never sure what to do with them. Then one day they disappeared.

Also you go into a JW's home and see how many magazines are there, old ones unplaced etc.

I know JW's when putting in the service report would put down they had placed 6 mags, when they hadn't placed any. I mean who was to know if they had or hadn't, but it looked good on the report. Not that I ever did such a thing

So when the WT say so many magazines had been placed in the year, is it a true figure??

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Good points Gordy:

I remember when I was Magazine Servant the amount of magazine that were never claimed by brothers/sisters. We had a stack of about 300 at one time, Elders never sure what to do with them. Then one day they disappeared.

Also you go into a JW's home and see how many magazines are there, old ones unplaced etc.

I know JW's when putting in the service report would put down they had placed 6 mags, when they hadn't placed any. I mean who was to know if they had or hadn't, but it looked good on the report. Not that I ever did such a thing

So when the WT say so many magazines had been placed in the year, is it a true figure??

I know the only mags I ever placed were back issues under the mat! I think I would have gone into shock if anyone had listened to all of my sermon and actually wanted the mags and I gave good sermons too! LOL

I also had a growing stack of back issues that were destined to the trash or to be used as kindling to start the fire in the fireplace. We eventually reduced our order to a piddly 4 mags each to keep from "wasting" so many. They still piled up!

Mysterious' last time in field service is this friday, if you're still religious pray no one will be home.

Well I'm not of the elk that pray, but may I suggest you give a bad sermon and when you get home burn those mags in a ritualistic last rite of passage.

Kate

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The best way was to be in charge of the Saturday morning group. You open the meeting , a quick look at the daytext then ask them what they are going to say. If there is a silence you chide them for being unprepared, someone always says something.

Yes there were mountains of mags over here too. And now they are free at point of collection, there is not so much incentive to reduce the order.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit