4 every WT that a member reads,presumely 4 R read by non-members

by badboy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I have worked that out b/c they R 6 million members, and they print 24 million WTs.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Remember... there are many JWs who are like I was when I was in. I never read the rags unless I actually had to. Even durring the studies my mind was, well, elsewhere.

When I would go door-to-door I would grab a magazine and thumb through it just before going to the first door so I would have at least a hint of what it was about.

Also consider the fact that most of the rags end up collecting on some shelf at the JWs home. I never knew a single JW who did not have "the pile of back issues". They never really got placed. Sometimes a JW will place a bunch at Not at Home doors or Washaterias... but the vast majority of the "back issues" would end up as land-fill.

• blondie
    blondie

Only 1 out of 10 JWs reads anything but the study articles and then they only hear it read when they are at that particular WT study. The rest are "placed" with NH doors and mats, laundromats, nursing homes. Few are ever placed with someone who then reads them. JWs are counseled not to go back and ask "Did you read the magazines?"

I can remember being in the ministry and hearing someone's presentation, knowing they had not read the article they were describing.

The rest pile up in some JW's basement, garage, or closet.

Blondie

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Also consider the fact that most of the rags end up collecting on some shelf at the JWs home.

boy...I sure can attest to this fact.

there is a huge stack of them my wife collects and refuses to throw away on the nightstand in the guest room of my house.

• undercover
    undercover
    I can remember being in the ministry and hearing someone's presentation, knowing they had not read the article they were describing.

Blondie, you have a way of bringing back bad memories, LOL. I remember riding in the car/van on the way to the territory frantically trying to come up with a presentation for the mags. I hated using the WT most times because it was, well, too religious. I always tried to find a good article in the Awake that might appeal to average people. Every Saturday morning, dreading the first door without a decent presentation. Over time I got to where I didn't even bother with that. I knew that I wouldn't get past my name and that I'm one of Jeho- before I would be cut off. If someone did show interest, I would read a bible verse and then push offer the mags.

Field service. What a bad memory.

• AlanB
    AlanB

LOL, Brings back memories.... A few years ago I used to have nightmares about it then wake up and remember I did not have to do that any more.

An average group of perhaps 10 people on a Saturday morning would be lucky to place a few sets, very low productivity.

I used to have piles of the bloody things and ended up placing most of them in the recycling bin.

A

• blondie
    blondie
    I remember riding in the car/van on the way to the territory frantically trying to come up with a presentation for the mags. I hated using the WT most times because it was, well, too religious. I always tried to find a good article in the Awake that might appeal to average people. Every Saturday morning, dreading the first door without a decent presentation.

Too bad we didn't know each other then, undercover. I could have shown you an easy way to appear erudite without too much effort.

Usually, I would open up the magazine and read parts of the first 3 paragraphs in the first article (designed for non-JWs) to the person at the door. Notice the selection ends with questions. Then just say that the article goes on to give a Bible answer. Of course, I don't go in the "ministry" any more, but if any of you lurkers are still trapped, use this technique. It works for almost any magazine and you don't have to read the whole article.

Example,

w99 1/1 p. 3 Real Help for the Family
    "It?s fair to say that there?s a crisis of family in America. It?s impossible to draw any other conclusion from the divorce rates, out-of-wedlock birth statistics, [and] juvenile and spousal abuse cases."
    THESE words by United States television commentator Tom Brokaw could apply to most countries. What does this crisis mean?

In many ways the family is the basic building block of society. If the family is in trouble, society is also in trouble. Further, the family is the source of emotional and financial support for children. It is where they learn the first and most important lessons of life. If the family is in trouble, what are the children learning? Where is their security? What kind of adults will they grow up to be?

Blondie

• TonyT
    TonyT

Thanks for the spiritual encouragement Blondie. I think I will return to the ministry, Errr.... service..... I mean ministry, and put your sugestions to a good use. ;-)

• Joker10
    Joker10

That's 25 million.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I doubt that even 1 in 4 WT are read by those 6,000,000 pubs.Think of how many of those pubs are just kids who don't have any real interest in the WT trash.The first time they even see the rag is when they are snoozing through the sun.morning rehash of the trash.As for the rest of them......

The rest pile up in some JW's basement, garage, or closet.

Thats where they really belong.The garbage collectors really should use Haz-Mat suits when handling.Some of the toxic poisons spewed out from those mags could be hazardous to your health.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit