Are you a blood donor?

by nicolaou 30 Replies latest watchtower medical

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Yup, that's right Thunder. You're the Universal Donor.

Anyone, can receive your blood.

You are what they call, probably one of the most valuable blood types on the planet.

The downside, you can ONLY receive O Negative blood.

Interestingly enough, rh negative persons can give to rh positive people, but not vice-versa, even within their own alpha type. Thus it is safe for me to give my blood (A Negative) to an (A Positive) person, but not the other way around, as it will cause a very strange and peculiar rh immune response from my body.

But yessiree: O Neg. is the one that is always sought after, because in an emergency, it can be safely transfused.

If you don't know your blood type folks: find out. If you are planning on having a family/children, it's important to know, due to possible rh incompatibility.

• Kymegg
    Kymegg

I used to be, but I'm not allowed now. I have a heart condition and the doctors feel it's too much strain on my heart to give blood. I've had a blood transfusion, back in the days when they were just starting to find out about AIDS. I'm sure I have had more than that one because I've had major surgery on my heart since then. I don't remember them saying anything, but I'm pretty sure that I lost some blood while on the table. I don't remember the whole day of my surgery at all. They could have shaved my head and dyed me purple and I probably wouldn't have noticed.

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I do as often as my health allowes with my asthma if I am feeling bad and such I don't but usually do about 6months out of the year. I am o+ so I am needed often too

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

I gave regularly untill I started deploying overseas. They have restrictions on donating blood for a time after you visit certain countries. I usually deploy again before the time limit is up. I have been put on a national bonemarrow list, not sure of the name of it here in America. Also I am an organ donor if I kick the bucket early.

O+

Heatmiser

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yep, I'm now a blood donor, too. Like Rayzorblade, I have A Negative blood type and it's almost as rare as AB Neg.

Frannie B

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

Yes! I donate blood every 56 days. The Red Cross comes to my place of employment. We have about 450 employees and usually get 30-35 people donate. The Red Cross volunteers said that 60% of the people in the US are eligable to donate blood, but only 6% actually do so. I thought that was pitiful. Just imagine if only the 6% doubled how many more lives could be saved. Last year when they came to accept blood donations they were unable to hand out Tee-shirts and hats, like they did on previous occasions. I was shocked to hear comments from some of my co-workers that they wouldn't give blood if the Red Cross stopped giving little gifts out to donars. How pitiful is that! I get a great feeling when I give blood. As small a contribution as it is I feel that someone somewhere is being helped out of a bad situation by the small amount that I contribute. I wish that someday the % of donars will go higher.

CC

• morty
    morty

I use to, but now they dont want my blood

• Bofug
    Bofug

i donate blood - the whole blood doctrine is kinda wierd. One passage that they base it on says we can't eat fat either, but I don't see any doctrine on that!!!

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Yup, same here Morty. I stood in line to give blood after 9/11. Being so far away from ground zero, that was one ways that many Americans felt they could help. I felt a great sense of pride knowing that all these people were here because they wanted to help. It was one of the best feelings in the world. Then...

I answered the questionnaire, and was told that I could not donate blood. Yes, I could have lied. But, I stopped lying about who I was when I left the JWs behind and I wasn't about to start lying to the Red Cross!

Sorry to go off on that tangent, but I'm still a bit bitter. So, to answer the question:
    I would if I could, but I'm not allowed to.

• Scully
    Scully

For anyone who, for medical reasons, cannot donate blood, please consider supporting the important work done by the Red Cross, Canadian Blood Services, and similar organizations in other very meaningful ways.

They are always happy to have volunteers and welcome financial donations (in most countries they are Tax Exempt Charities, and will give you receipts for income tax purposes).

In Canada, the cost of collecting, testing and processing a single unit of donated blood (dividing it into its four main components and fractions) is about $200. Just something to think about if you get those United Way forms at work and want to direct your money to a certain charitable organization (and away from another one ).

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit