JW usage of Jehovah

by Kymegg 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Kymegg
    Kymegg

Thanks for the welcome. I usually do my research on my own, but I really was stuck on this one. I've been to most of the JW sites. Some of them are great and some are so-so, but I'm amazed at the things I learn. Sometimes I wonder how blind you have to be to not see that "the organization" doesn't have your best intrest in mind. But in cases like my in-laws ,I see that my MIL especially, was looking for something to prove her self worth. For some reason the JW's fill that need in her.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I told my mother in a recent conversation that I preferred God because I felt it more respectful, and she told me "Jehovah is more precise." I told her she was entitled to her opinion.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    I told my mother in a recent conversation that I preferred God because I felt it more respectful, and she told me "Jehovah is more precise." I told her she was entitled to her opinion.

Then I certainly hope she says "feces" and "urine". Wouldn't want to be less than precise ever now would we. Sorry for the potty language hehe.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I asked my honey which was more disrespectful - calling my father "dad", or "William"? Jesus called out "Abba, Father" when he died - an earned intimacy. Did not his sacrifice offer us a similar relationship?

Here is an interesting list of names:

http://www.gospelcom.net/glia/archives/devotions2001.shtml

You may have to edit out the trinitarian references for a virgin JW's eyes.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Some, like my parents, are now happier as JWs. And since they feel they have the truth, then I don't see how you can get them out. They will probably hear you if they knew you had the answers to life.

• City Fan
    City Fan

Kymegg,

The god of the bible also had another personal name apart from Yahweh.

El was the name of god long before the word transformed into the generic noun meaning "god". El was the head of the Canaanite pantheon of gods and was the name of the original chief god of Israel.

Exodus 6:2,3 identifies the old god El Shadday with Yahweh "And God said to Moses, 'I am Yahweh. I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, then to Jacob as El Shadday, but by my name Yahweh I did not make myself known to them"

This verse shows the patriarchs did not refer to god as Yahweh, but worshipped the Canaanite god El.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A gift for your parents, Joker.

http://www.gospelcom.net/guidance/

Lots of people in this world have answers.
    Here is a short answer, "Yes."
    First problem, was the right question asked?
    Next problem, was the right answer given?
    Third problem, is there only one right answer?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Then why does she use "Jehovah" as opposed to "Yahweh"? After all, many scholars believe that Yahweh closely approximates the actual pronunciation of the divine Name in Hebrew (though some others disagree). But everyone (even the WTS) agrees that it was definitely not pronounced "Jehovah". If she wants to be precise, then let her be precise!

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

CROWD OF WOMEN:
    [yelling]
    JEWISH OFFICIAL:
    Matthias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath.
    MATTHIAS:
    Do I say 'yes'?
    STONE HELPER #1:
    Yes.
    MATTHIAS:
    Yes.
    OFFICIAL:
    You have been found guilty by the elders of the town of uttering the name of our Lord, and so, as a blasphemer,...
    CROWD:
    Ooooh!
    OFFICIAL:
    ...you are to be stoned to death.
    CROWD:
    Ahh!
    MATTHIAS:
    Look. I-- I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'
    CROWD:
    Oooooh!
    OFFICIAL:
    Blasphemy! He's said it again!
    CROWD:
    Yes! Yes, he did! He did!...
    OFFICIAL:
    Did you hear him?!
    CROWD:
    Yes! Yes, we did! We did!...
    WOMAN #1:
    Really!
    [silence]
    OFFICIAL:
    Are there any women here today?
    CROWD:
    No. No. No. No...
    OFFICIAL:
    Very well. By virtue of the authority vested in me--
    [CULPRIT WOMAN stones MATTHIAS]
    MATTHIAS:
    Oww! Lay off! We haven't started yet!
    OFFICIAL:
    Come on! Who threw that? Who threw that stone? Come on.
    CROWD:
    She did! She did! He did! He! He. He. Him. Him. Him. Him. He did.
    CULPRIT WOMAN:
    Sorry. I thought we'd started.
    OFFICIAL:
    Go to the back.
    CULPRIT WOMAN:
    Oh, dear.
    OFFICIAL:
    Always one, isn't there? Now, where were we?
    MATTHIAS:
    Look. I don't think it ought to be blasphemy, just saying 'Jehovah'.
    CROWD:
    Oooh! He said it again! Oooh!...
    OFFICIAL:
    You're only making it worse for yourself!
    MATTHIAS:
    Making it worse?! How could it be worse?! Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!
    CROWD:
    Oooooh!...
    OFFICIAL:
    I'm warning you. If you say 'Jehovah' once more--
    [MRS. A. stones OFFICIAL]
    Right. Who threw that?
    [silence]
    Come on. Who threw that?
    CROWD:
    She did! It was her! He! He. Him. Him. Him. Him. Him. Him.
    OFFICIAL:
    Was it you?
    MRS. A.:
    Yes.
    OFFICIAL:
    Right!
    MRS. A.:
    Well, you did say 'Jehovah'.
    CROWD:
    Ah! Ooooh!...
    [CROWD stones MRS. A.]
    OFFICIAL:
    Stop! Stop, will you?! Stop that! Stop it! Now, look! No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand?! Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say 'Jehovah'.
    CROWD:
    Ooooooh!...
    [CROWD stones OFFICIAL]
    WOMAN #1:
    Good shot!
    [clap clap clap]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit