Is Bible chronology true?

by Fisherman 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Is Bible chronology true?

whether you believe or not...........I don't know how it can possibly be calculated. No, honestly, I really don't.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" .I don't know how it can possibly be calculated. No, honestly, I really don't."

That is what I was saying in my earlier Post, to take as true the time periods given by Bible Writers is naive and ignorant. As many Posts on here in years past have shown, by erudite people like " Peaceful Pete" and " Leolaia", we are dealing with literature here of various genres, none of which are history in any sense we would recognise.

So even when a seemingly specific period like "430 years" or whatever is spoken of, this is often for literary reasons, and rarely accurate. It can't be done, apart from very generally, we can say things like the Bible seems to place the Story of so-and-so in such and such a period. this as close as we can get !

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

I agree that carbon dating is BS. Scientists will just grab on to anything to support their atheism.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Smiddy 3 asked ; "The bible presents a flat earth cosmology.

I have never heard of this before ,can someone elaborate this for me ?"

here it is Buddy !

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Phizzy:

So even when a seemingly specific period like "430 years" or whatever is spoken of, this is often for literary reasons, and rarely accurate.

Such details are often initially allegorical or have some other esoteric meaning, but nutters later take them literally. Because details in Exodus 6 and 12 contradict other details in Genesis 12 about the duration the Israelites would supposedly be in Egypt (not a historical event), the alternative tradition developed that ‘Israelite slavery in Egypt’ ‘really’ started when Isaac was briefly mistreated by Ishmael (though in the story there weren’t any Israelites before Jacob). Of course, neither version is actually true though, and the Israelites were actually originally a Canaanite tribe.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Jeffro,

The tension here is not your favorite version of Bible chronology compared to wt interpretation but that scientific dating is much older than Bible chronology challenging the Bible.

• cofty
    cofty
    Since Jesus validated the creation of Adam and Eve as historical people and JC’s own lineage is traced all the way back to Adam, Bible chronology is certified as true...

Fishy are you familiar with the logical fallacy called ' begging the question '?

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    begging the question '?

Doesn’t apply here

• cofty
    cofty

Fishy your OP is THE VERY DEFINITION of begging the question.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Fishy your OP is THE VERY DEFINITION of begging the question.

No it is not. Simply put: The Bible says that humans began to exist some 6000 years ago whereas scientific dating says much older. That is the issue. There is no proof that scientific dating debunks Bible chronology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit