Throwing out Old Watchtowers

by Okram 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• Okram
    Okram

When you were a JW,

Did u feel guilty about throwing out old copies of the watchtower even if you had the yearly bound volumes? My mom won't do it. They are stacked up in an unused room. Gonna fill the house if Armageddon never comes.

Okram

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Considering how I tended to dispose of used chewing gum between its pages, I guess old WTs weren't exactly sacred to me.

• blondie
    blondie

Okram, even as an active JW I had no problem throwing out my old marked up magazines. I would sometimes cut out the pictures, especially toward the end. I wanted a file of the ridiculous ideas they have about the "new system" and current JW life.

Blondie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Oh wow! Would she happen to have an original copy of the Jan. 1, 1989 Watchtower? I have been trying to find one to buy.

If you turn to page 12 and read the last sentence of paragraph 8 you will see where they print: "He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century." The bound-volume version has been changed to: "He was also laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our day."

• undercover
    undercover

Oh yea. It was like a sin or something. They'd stack up for months until we took them to the hall for pioneers to use as old mags. Then one day an elder that was quite practical thinking(for a JW anyway) said that it seemed silly to him how the friends were afraid to throw away old magazines. His comment opened my eyes and the next week, I threw a big ole box of them out. That elder, unbeknownst to him, helped me on my way out of the organization. He was one to buck the tide at times. His reasons for going against the other elders or the "accepted" way always made sense. It showed me, in a small way, that one doesn't have to be a blind follower. Little by little I started questioning things and asking, "why". The end of being an active JW was not far away after that.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I might still have that one...we stopped buying bound volumes towards the end, and so my last two years or so we just have random mags....

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

One of the more powerful things I read in my exit was something called "Jehovah's Witnesses and The Dating Game." Through the Watchtower's publications, they were able to show the way they changed dates to suit their fancy. Then when the Borg is confronted with such allegations, they blame the publishers for "hurrying up on Jehovah's time." What a bunch of crap!

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Okram,

I hate clutter, so little by little I've managed to throw out old volumes of mags, old books that my husband had in his personal WT library, and even new mags or literature that doesn't get placed in the territory, out they go in the trash. Hubby doesn't even notice some old lit that's missing.

It's kind of fun doing so. I guess all respect is lost on my part for the society's publishings.

DY

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Watchtower magazine paper is very good for making Papier Mâchè arts & crafts, especially Piñatas.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No never - -even used them to light fires .Now of course even less "guilt" - hell they are not inspired so what is the big deal. Most of people who get them on the doors probably put them straight in the garbage anyway

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit