Could this be the end of JWs? What are the consequences if it is?

by Teddnzo 28 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

People are people....and we have been tribal for many thousands of years. The mind can be a powerful prison.

I think the constant drum of bad publicity will simply demoralize the rank and file so they attend and contribute less and less. Younger members who use the internet will wake up and drift away.

This happened with Christian Science, Quakers, Shakers, and a number of other denominations in the USA.

It would be more gratifying if the Governing body were actually outed and convicted in a RICO-type investigation for evidence destruction and coverups, (like Jim and Tammy Baker for fraud) but I doubt we will see anything like that.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Haven’t we heard all this before?

(Yet despite everything - and like rats and cockroaches which survive a nuclear explosion - this bloody lot continues).

• PetrW
    PetrW

Is there any way to estimate the number of ex versus in? If there are approx. 8 million in, then how many ex are alive? Is there such an estimate?

• LV101
    LV101

I agree Rivergang but low convention attendances reveal some hope. The 'Boomers' might be dying/disabled sooner than expected due to forced inoculations by the cult.😥

They're dirt rich like farmers (real estate) and have track record of surviving but many changes shaking up the world now.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    Is there any way to estimate the number of ex versus in? If there are approx. 8 million in, then how many ex are alive? Is there such an estimate?

Yes, I would be interested to know those figures if it was possible to arrive at some sort of guesstimate.

• PetrW
    PetrW

@Ron W.

I'll try to make a layman's(!) guess: of the three congregations I know, over 20 years, I'd estimate that about 1/4 or maybe 1/3 of the people still alive have left the fellowship. To these I could theoretically add their children who have not become JWs. But this hypothetical loss of membership, in the form of children, is equivalent, I think, to the number of JWs who, while remaining in congregations, have had their religious enthusiasm cooled considerably.

They are formal members, on par with people who go to church on Sunday. They haven't physically left because the fellowship of JWs suits them, they have deep relationships there that they would be hard pressed to find elsewhere. This might increase the number of "ex"...but I don't want to speculate...

So I estimate that there are about 2 million ex-JWs living in the world...???🤔🤔🤔

• Teddnzo
    Teddnzo

The area where I grew up had almost all young ones leave the JWs, all congregations in surrounding area.

Similar story to where my wife grew up her generation about 90% of the children left. Now all middle age.

So if you count how many people were once a JW and now left, or parents were and never joined once old enough I expect it’s more than 2 million.

Now what if you count all the PIMO or at least PIMQ?

My guess is there are probably 4-6 million fully indoctrinated PIMI and about the same number that fit into one of these categories- PIMQ, PIMO or POMO.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'd guess that at least 50% of my peers left the religion in one way or another. Faded (before that was a term), DFd, etc. and I think the rate is even higher among JWs from my children's generation (children of our peers).

I am constantly surprised how many times one of my kids mentions that "he" or "so-and-so" is out when learning about former JW acquaintances from our Hall or Circuit. I'm thinking most families have at least some of their children who have left.

• Vanderhoven7
  • pontoon
    pontoon

Won't bring down the cult. The all-in-it-for-life will just say "praise Jeh for keeping his organization so clean"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit