A good rebuttel to the JWs when they say: "We are not a cult"

by logansrun 14 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

This from a lecture I heard by an anthropologist:

"The adequacy of a definition is not to be judged by the group to whom it is applied."

Marinate on that for a minute.

Bradley

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Good enough for the good quotes thread

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What kind of sauce would you like me to marinate myself in?

I think it is kind of obvious to anyone in a cult that they will deny the definition applies to them - something to do with cognitive dissonance I do believe

• little witch
    little witch

Logansrun,

That is profound!

And absolutely right.

If one only considers the inside opine, then only a one sided view will be seen.

We must criticize and evaluate from the outside. And give equal weight to all commentary.

That is how cults and dictatorships are made. By members believing in one voice is right, and any dissent = evil.

I would have liked to hear that lecture BTW. Sounds interesting!

• logansrun
    logansrun

The awful truth about this is that the JWs love to use the following line of reasoning both at the door and, worse yet, in court cases:

"Well, if your really want to know what a group is like you would ask them, wouldn't you? If you really want to know what Jehovah's Witnesses are like -- just ask us!"

That's just downright idiotic. By that line of reasoning someone who really wanted to get to know a candidate for political office should just listen to their ads. The flaw in that thinking is so obvious it doesn't even deserve to be said.

Of course, it would be incorrect to judge a group -- the JWs or others -- simply by the writings of their critics. The thing to do is get all sides of the matter -- critics, the group itself and non-committed third parties. Why doesn't the WT advocate that type of investigation? Again, I think you already know why

Bradley

• Gadget
    Gadget

It sounds to me like a person with an addiction. Everybody around them can see it as clear as anything, but they can't see it in themselves. An alcoholic can't begin recovering until he admits he has a problem.

• Sassy
    Sassy

That is so true. I can remember when a JW and I heard people thought of us as a cult, I thought they were crazy. Now that I am out, wow.. there is no doubt what it is.. Sometimes I think it is a miracle to have gotten out...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Gadget said It sounds to me like a person with an addiction. Everybody around them can see it as clear as anything, but they can't see it in themselves. An alcoholic can't begin recovering until he admits he has a problem. I say again --- There are none as deaf as those that do not want to hear and none as blind as those who do not want to see.

• Soledad
    Soledad

Marinate on that for a minute.

uh yeah it's called denial?? the JWs epitomize denial.

• Poztate
    Poztate

They love to dish it out but they just can't take it.All the major religions are classed as cults according to them.But if any religion or country(France) calls them a cult they start to pout and cry persecution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit