What are the things that wake people up from the Watchtower Corporation?

by punkofnice 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave
    For me it was the hypocrisy and double standards I saw as I served as an elder.
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Yes, too many double standards.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

I heard the old cliche 'wait on Jehovah(tm)', this weekend. Oh, what memories it brought back.

I don't even think the 'ressurection hope(tm)' is a reality to most JWs. They cling onto it to try to deaden the pain...............I think deep down they know it's piffle.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

I think there has to be some moment which makes you think 'maybe this isn't Jehovah's organisation....'

For me it was having my kids mistreated by a prominent elder, who showed no remorse whatsoever, a real nasty piece of work - next assembly who's giving the talk about being more loving? - that was the first moment when I thought 'maybe Jehovah's spirit isn't here after all.....' -

That got the ball rolling, then there were many other examples of lack of love, judgementalism, mistreatment of vulnerable ones. People saying bat**** crazy things when my son drifted away such as 'it's worse than if he had died....' What!?....An elder gave a talk and emphasised that all children of non-witnesses will die at Armageddon, etc etc...the snowball effect was in flow...

All of this comes to the point when you 'allow' yourself to research your doubts and look at the other side of the argument, thankfully I found this forum and JWfacts very quickly - bang - eyes open!

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    'Revelation...its grand climax at hand' was the book that started causing me some serious doubts! As I was studying it or when discussing it. the following would go through my mind particularly when this or that date/pamphlet/book/assembly etc would pertain to a specific scripture. eh!, what! ah come on! really! nonsense! no way! on , oh please!
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    TI2 - For me it was having my kids mistreated by a prominent elder

How often have I seen this?

The biggest bully on the BOE is the leader. Control freaks rule in the WBT$.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    TExp - The trumpet blasts had me wondering about the sanity of it all....and I was a dyed in the wool borgie at the time.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Tornintwo:

All of this comes to the point when you 'allow' yourself to research your doubts and look at the other side of the argument, thankfully I found this forum and JWfacts very quickly - bang - eyes open!

Well said Tornintwo!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Would you believe, reading philosophy started my mind working? These people had been asking questions like what does it mean to be a good person, does God exist, how should we treat fellow humans, for centuries.

Some of their answers were very similar to the ones in the Bible. One was identical, the golden rule, 500 years before Jesus. That planted ideas in my mind that there is something going on that is bigger than this little religion. Readin' stuff, it's good for ya.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

The Revelation book was such a doozy. Trumpet blasts from heaven being conventions and resolutions passed in the 1920's.

The stinging scorpion tails being more of the same, only directed to the clergy of Christendom, who wailed and howled over "the truth".

JWs themselves being the locust plague, and believing this foretold the great preaching work.

And Jesus being the rider of the white horse, leading the four horses of the apocalypse.... I mean, Jesus...??? Leading the way in causing all sorts of pain and anguish to people? (So long as it's directed at "worldly" people, it's okay!!??!!??)

bah!

Yet I suppressed my doubts for a very long time. Other things culminated toward my waking up, the biggest being "My book of bible stories" (nightmares) for children, when I almost gave that book to my little grandchildren.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit