Evolution is a Fact #10 - Non-Coding DNA

by cofty 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Fisherman you remind me of the meme about playing chess with a pigeon.

There is no basis whatsoever to dispute that the earth is round (oval) It is an indisputable fact - Fisherman

There is no basis whatsoever to dispute that every living thing evolved from a common ancestor over millions of years. It is an indisputable fact.

These two statements are equally certain.

One is easy to verify and doesn't challenge religious superstitions. The other is more difficult to understand and it does contradict religious superstitions.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    There is no basis whatsoever to dispute that the earth is round (oval) It is an indisputable fact.

There is no basis whatsoever to dispute that all species on earth evolved from a common ancestor. It is an indisputable fact.

How am i doing?

In case you're having trouble with it, my point is that there is a preponderance of evidence that evolution is factually accurate. If you want to come in and declare it not to be a fact, then you'll need to present some sort of evidence to support your claim. Otherwise your claim can be dismissed as easily (and appropriately) as you dismissed my claim that the earth is flat.

Edit: Arg! Cofty beat me by a millisecond!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Since there is basis to dispute evolution, it is not a fact.

Evolution is a fully-accepted scientific theory, supported by many data and facts. Gravity is also a fully-accepted scientific theory, and likewise is supported by many data and facts.

There is no scientific basis to dispute evolution because anyone denying evolution has no data or facts to support their assertion.

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can say "evolution is nonsense - I don't accept it. God created us instead!" but they have no data or facts to support their statements.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

There is no basis whatsoever to dispute that all species on earth evolved from a common ancestor. It is an indisputable fact.

There is -and evolution is falsifiable Don't dispute evolution with me, dispute with other schools of thought.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Forgot to add: good OP, Cofty.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    There is.

Please, do share.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There is no basis whatsoever to dispute that the earth is round (oval,) it is an indisputable fact.

No, strictly speaking, the statement "the earth is round (oval)" isn't a fact, it's a fairly accurate description of the shape of the Earth.

The word 'fact' is from the Latin neuter past participle 'factum' and originally meant an act, i.e. something done.

• cofty
    cofty

Pigeon chess.

"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory." - Scott D. Weitzenhoffer

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    If you set up an apparatus that measures the velocity of a falling object at different intervals for example, the konstant of gravity can be shown. The roundness of the earth can also be shown.Those facts cannot be dis-proven. With Evolution, the possibility exists that it can be proven wrong -except to cofty the pseudo scientist.
  • cofty
    cofty
    With Evolution, the possibility exists that it can be proven wrong

No it only seems that way because you choose to remain ignorant of the evidence. That is a pity since it is such a fascinating topic.

I have written 10 posts in this series so far Fisherman. What are your thoughts on the evidence at this stage? Let's put aside your semantic objection and have a conversation about the evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit