Which is worse - a JW wedding or a JW funeral?

by jgnat 26 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Besides the regular stress that all brides go through, a JW couple must worry about being caught in inappropriate behavior through the engagement period, thereby nixing a KH wedding. And then there is the stress of the invitation list. Who must be shunned, is so-and-so of an approved state to attend, etc, etc, etc.

Then there is the JW funeral, or JW participants in a regular funeral. Will the event be used as a shameless plug for the organization and their beliefs? Will the brochure be handed out at a patently inappropriate moment? And again, who must be shunned?

...so which is worse? any opinions? any stories?

• Dansk
    Dansk

jgnat,

In all honesty I feel KH weddings and funerals are equally disgusting as the services are full of nonsense (almost wrote something else here ). Both give false hopes and promises.

Ian

• willyloman
    willyloman

It's a toss-up. Avoid both like the plague.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

On balance although both are problematic, I do prefer weddings as they are at least in theory happy occassions -- funerals are sad even though some witnesses try to portray them as happy events.

• gumby
    gumby

I didn't know there was a difference.

Dubs like captive audiences. They use these occasions to teach their doctrines to any newcomers there........and there is ALWAYS newcomers at these two events. Both of these occations are more like a talk to instuct, rather than the purpose it should really serve.

Gumby

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

Well the wedding means a couple is making it that much more difficult to leave a cult. Unless they leave together which would give them strength.

Nothing is worse than an assembly, sort of like a memorial and wedding mulitplied several times.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Well the wedding means a couple is making it that much more difficult to leave a cult.

And the funeral means the deceased never did!

Ian

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

I know that funeral talks are the easiest talks to give. You just have to come up with an introduction and a conclusion cuz you've already got the body.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Surreptitious that is awful but I am still ROTFLOL

• blondie
    blondie

As a woman, I find the wedding talk most offensive. At least death is a gender-free occasion. What about the reception?

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit