3/2020 WT Baptism Rigmarole

by neat blue dog 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Biahi
    Biahi

I brought that group of scriptures up to my mom, about the Ethiopian eunuch. She said,

“well, we have a better understanding now.” Sigh.

• dozy
    dozy

At least the Society have explicitly stated that the person should make a dedication first.

I remember a couple of times as an elder going "through the questions" with JW youngsters and asking them when they made a dedication and being met with a blank stare. They hadn't done such a thing. They didn't seem to understand that baptism , as taught by the Society , is supposed to be a "public declaration" of dedication - all they knew was that it really was about time they got baptised - a kind of JW rite of passage.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    dozy - At least the Society have explicitly stated that the person should make a dedication first.

I'm surprised they didn't mean 'person should make a 'donation(TM)'.

• sir82
    sir82

They didn't seem to understand that baptism , as taught by the Society , is supposed to be a "public declaration"

of dedication - all they knew was that it really was about time they got baptised - a kind of JW rite of passage.

Did you go over the questions with me?

That was me, nearly [gulp] 40 years ago.

"About time to get baptized" - yep, that was it in its entirety.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The book used in my study was "You Can Live Forever on Paradise Earth." I guess I no longer qualify for baptism. So, I guess I am no longer a baptized publisher of the good news. That would mean I can't be disfellowshipped either.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    TBK - The book used in my study was "You Can Live Forever on Paradise Earth."

If I remember correctly, and I try not to think about it at all; it was the 'truth book(tm)' for me. What a turgid load of old tripe that was!

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Jehovah's Witnesses today would not baptise the Ethiopian minister of finance, a man wielding great political authority (Acts 8: 27)

Neither would they baptise the likes of Cornelius no matter how many Watchtower books he read.

Nor would they baptise anyone who rejected that something significant happened in October of 1914 or the spring of 1919.

And actually they would not baptise you if you disagreed with any single current teaching eminating from the FDS in NY.

How closely modern JWs mirror first century Christians.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

If you have not yet completed your study of the books What Can the Bible Teach Us? and How to Remain in God’s Love, you should continue studying with a Bible teacher until you finish both books.

Now I wonder where the BIBLE enters into the equation? Oh that's right...IT DOESN'T!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    At least the Society have explicitly stated that the person should make a dedication first.

Except the Bible doesn't even mention 'dedication' in regards to baptism. That's a JW construct.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses claim to be the only religion that strictly follows the Bible and that they are a Bible based religion , correct ?

The Bible gives clear direction on how to baptize a person wanting to be a Christian . Matthew 28: 19,20.

" Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the son and of the holy spirit " etc,etc.

Do the GB / JW`s do that ? No.

They do not follow the bible example on such an important point of becoming a Christian, a disciple of Jesus according to the scriptures.

In which to gain God`s favor .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit