Anyone have an obvious gay or lesbian in the congregation?

by mickbobcat 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

It would be quite possible to make a mistake, but my "gaydar" has returned many pings over the years.

Including children of prominent elders. Actually, those were generally the most (apparently) obvious.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

We had a guy a couple of years younger than me who was very effeminate.

Just listening to him speak and observing his mannerisms, you'd at least ask yourself, is this guy gay?

I don't know if he was or not ... perhaps he was bisexual?

I just don't know.

He was a nice guy, generally speaking. And he *was* included in congregation stuff, from what I remember.

He could be a bit pissy sometimes. I'll give you an example: we were all invited out to dinner to an Indian restaurant. Generally speaking, we all had a good time. But we all had had a few drinks, and for one reason or another this guy put some salt or pepper in my hair. Can't remember why or what started it, maybe he was just having a laugh. So, I kinda laughed along with it, then 10 minutes later I put some salt in his hair. Give as good as you get, right?

And then this guy went ballistic. Because I did the same to him!

Anyway, he was a nice guy. I wonder what happened to him. Maybe he left the WTS and is now living with his husband, who knows?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I was part of a group of friends who made plenty of gay jokes as we thought they were simply funny. However, one day, my wife pointed to someone who seemed to be gay in our circle and so, we stopped making jokes. I remember that my friends and I weren't homophobes in that we bought into the idea that they were born that way and, unfortunately for them, they simply weren't allowed to have sex, ever. So, we didn't avoid them or even feel uncomfortable around them.

Today, I realize that the amount of jokes we were making probably did hurt closeted gay friends that we weren't even aware of. There is no such thing as "gaydar". Some even get married as hetero trying to fight what they are.

Being raised as a JW is already not ideal. Being gay and raised as a JW or any anti-gay religion is absolutely horrible.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yes. Loads of them. One is waiting for his Elder Dad to die, then he'll come out. It seems a shame he can't just be himself but the Corporation has stopped all that. Bloody homophobes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit