Not enough reaching out

by pillsbury 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Oh, and to add...

During the last CO visit, our CO gave a talk to the cong. that specifically focused on brothers reaching out for more. He cited that the figures are down, there are not nearly as many brothers in the 25 - 35 age range who are elders, which is a new trend that is in contrast to the past.

My guess, and in line with dough-boy's comments here that started the thread from his ?friends? at the school, is this: the WTS is seeing a trend that it doesn't like. The new ones are not jumping in. The WTS knows it and is trying to stop the bleeding. Plus, the ones who are still in and that are falling for the 'do more' line are growing tired of the added responsibilities.

In my congregation alone [strike that, OLD congregation!], when Mukwonago recently split this year, the elders were heard groaning. Now the ones left behind here are pulling double duty because the elder body was cut in about half.

My wife relayed to me that one elder's wife was sad because her husband was overworked as it was before the split. He was even contemplating stepping down for a while because he lost all of his joy. Now when the congregation split, he was then made the cong. Secretary, so he felt obligated to stay on to help out with the ?new growth?.

Oh, and he sat on most of my elders meetings.

Hope I didn't contribute to his joy being lost...

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

If they would wise up and let women serve as MS and elders there would never be a shortage....all those die hard pioneer sisters would step right up. They did most of the work anyway, and got no credit.

The catholic church is having the same problem..and thats if you don't even count all the ones they have to kick out for messing with the boys

• gumby
    gumby
    Why would you want to reach out -- be truthful -- with all the lawsuits going on -- if you handle a judicial case wrong -- the WTBTS wil lleave you on your own

The average braindead dub hasn't a clue that this is the case. My guess is this new policy was discussed maybe once at the service meeting.....and that's it. Any who didn't hear about is S.O.L.

Gumby

• SadElder
    SadElder

As a former 'eldub' I can attest to the declining interest in "reaching out". In fact more and more seem to be "stepping down??" than ever before. In the cong. that I attend occasionally, they have seen 4 elders drop out in the last three years (including me). The "new boys" that get appointed just seem to lack the maturity and interest in people that was the hallmark of a good elder in times past. The PO in our cong. comes in the door goes down front holds court with other elders and rarely interacts with the "sheep".

Times they are a changin.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hmm must be why my ex-husband-elder-who-had-2-JW-wives-leave-him-because-of-abuse is now a MS again

Yup that should make him a suitable prospective elder and marriage partner.

• Maverick
    Maverick

I have to agree with the general feeling that the WTS is quite anemic and in dire need of new blood being transfused into the elder body!

I was a Servant for 14 years and an Elder for just under two. I hated being an Elder, but was fine with being an MS! I hated knowing all the inside dope on everyone. I didn't want to see the friends that way! I liked the mental challenge of giving talks and had a nack for bringing poorly run departments back from the brink!

I saw a lot of loving, caring, competent men get run into the ground by the load they had put on them. The screw-ups love the WTS, but the capable get tired of cleaning up their messes. The the biggest screw-up are in their little Ivory Tower...in Brooklyn! Maverick

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit