Interesting take on John 3:16

by NikL 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NikL
    NikL

The superstar of all scriptures.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

But I just learned something about it.

I try to look at different translations of the bible and the Lexham English Bible words it a bit different...

16 For in this way God loved the world, so that he gave his one and only Son, in order that everyone who believes in him will not perish, but will have eternal life.

Note the difference?

I found a commentary about this and it makes sense...

The Greek word houtos, commonly translated in Jn 3:16 as "so" or "so much" occurs over 200 times in the NT. Almost without exception it is an adverb of manner, not degree (for example, see Mt 1:18). It only means "so much" when modifying an adjective (see Gal 3:3; Rev 16:18). Manner seems primarily in view in Jn 3:16. Some may think "so loved this world" as "God sooooo loved the world," while the Greek is referring to the manner that God loved the world.

I always understood it as god loved us soooo much that he gave his son. But now looking at this translation of verse 14 and 15...

And just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness,[f] thus it is necessary that the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life.”[g]

So the message seems to be Jesus is like the snake lifted up in the desert by Moses.

Many of you probably have considered this but it's a new idea to me.

Any thoughts from the scholars among us?

• Steel
    Steel

I think this kind of thinking outside the box nonsense is how people get involved with stupid cults .

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

I can't see that it matters either way. If God loved the world at all, it wouldn't be in the state it's in.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Try reading it in The Message Bible.

You can do it online.

Sylvia

• NikL
    NikL

I think this kind of thinking outside the box nonsense is how people get involved with stupid cults .

Uh...okay. Thanks for that...I guess.

I can't see that it matters either way. If God loved the world at all, it wouldn't be in the state it's in.

Not sure I agree but okay.

Try reading it in The Message Bible.

Yes the Message bible in interesting to say the least. It is so paraphrased though. Makes many scriptures unrecognizable to me.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Interesting NikL. I too always thought it was "loved soooooo much"

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Not too many here want to get into serious bible discussion. I always recommend discussthetruth.com for that.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

God soo loved or God loved the world in that or such that ... are equivalent to me.

What I find enlighting about the verse couplet is the fact that eternal life is equivalent to salvation

• waton
    waton

"--not be destroyed--", like not walking into the twirling swords god set up, angel powered.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for giving a new perspective on this well known scripture NicL.

I think this way of looking at it still makes life awkward for JW's, another way of putting it could be : "god could not have shown more love, than by giving up his son to save the world".

JW's hate what they call "the world" and "worldly people", however you read this scripture, the JW position is the opposite of that of the God of Love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit