People will believe ANYthing no matter how insane

by TerryWalstrom 18 Replies latest social humour

• TerryWalstrom
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I love that show. However, those are actors, they are not random people. In reality, Americans don't behave the way those actors do, so they use scripted actors posing as strangers.

Lots of fun anyway.

• LV101
    LV101

Dental Plot -- that's cruel!

Can't wait for the new program to start. Thx for the shares, Terry!

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/05/03/magician-michael-carbonaro-gets-redditor-apologize-after-making-video

Magician Michael Carbonaro gets redditor to apologize after making video

Everyone enjoys a good old-fashioned magician-hidden camera controversy. Michael Carbonaro, who stars in truTV’s, The Carbonaro Effect, was accused of creating fake clips staffed by actors and actresses, rather than by random people.

The aforementioned controversy surrounds a couple videos, in which some sleuthing Reddit and YouTube users pick out clips, which appear to be fake. One of those is a prank in which Carbonaro, posing as shipping store employee, opens up a very flat box, which then reveals a bowling ball. A video, posted to YouTube, shows the original, and then displays some text, slows the video down, and posits that the sound and video don’t match up.

The video appears to be compelling, but Carbonaro responded with a video of his own. That video displays the actual footage, which shows that the patron didn’t actually see Carbonaro initially doing the prank (she was looking away). Carbonaro then quickly, without the patron noticing, closes the box, resetting the prank, waits until she turns, and then does it again (this time she notices). The evidence is conclusive and even prompted an apology to Carbonaro.

Another video, posted to Reddit, titled “Crabby Transformation,” referenced above. was also accused of being fake. A reddit user notes that a glove seems to appear and disappear in a matter of seconds. In response, another user, who claims to edit clips on the show, explains the suspicions by noting how difficult it can be to get good shots with spontaneous reactions.

While it’s probably not the desired reaction to the show for both Carbonaro and truTV, the fact that people are talking about the show, and discussing its merits, means that they’re doing something right. The show airs Wednesdays at 10.

• TerryWalstrom
  • jws
    jws

I often wonder how I'd react. Some of those,I'd clearly know it's a trick. There is no way to do what he claims.

But other things are more in the realm of possibility. I can't remember which ones off hand. But I've seen some before and said, well, the way technology's going, who knows? We can actually print flavoring with a special printer now.

But knowing it's a trick, you also see how gullible some people are. I wonder how many people they have to go through for somebody to freak out. I wonder how many just call him out.

• TerryWalstrom
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yeah he's good and less creepy than David Blaine.

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

In an interview, Carbonaro said it was much more difficult to convince people
    THEY HAD BEEN FOOLED than to fool them in the first place.

Human nature and confirmation bias: a double whammy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit