Waiting On Jehovah First Mentioned?

by Ron.W. 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

1953 WT "But Jehovah’s witnesses cannot break faith with Jehovah; so they continue to worship and preach as they are able, waiting upon Jehovah for salvation "

Feb 2024 WT p.26-27

• Find Happiness While Waiting Patiently for Jehovah

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    "waiting upon Jehovah for salvation "

More WT manure. The Bible clearly teaches that the moment a person turns from his sin and trusts in Jesus (Not Jehovah) to be forgiven of his sin, he is saved (Acts 2:37-41). He has passed from spiritual death to spiritual life (John 5:24) and has been declared not guilty in God's court of law (Rom 3:21-26)

And not only that, a person can have an internal "knowing" that he/she is saved. This is a tremendous comfort:

- The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God

- These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    Wait on Jehovah
    There are many WT articles which exhort JWs to ‘wait on Jehovah’, meaning that they shouldn’t rush ahead or be impatient. The 1999 Oct WT has such an article where it states that;
    There is, therefore, no reason for us to become overly concerned, or even agitated, that certain matters are not fully explained. Rather, we can be confident that if we patiently wait on Jehovah, he will provide, through the faithful slave, what is needed “at the proper time.””46
    Effectively this is saying that waiting on ‘the faithful slave’ (the GB) is the same as waiting on Jehovah. The article says that the ‘slave’ will provide what is needed at the ‘proper time’ yet, by their own admission, what they provide cannot be guaranteed to be at the ‘proper time’ as it is needs regular updating.
    https://reachouttrust.org/new-light/
  • Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I have regularly heard that phrase since the 60s.

It was used as a cop-out frequently by lazy elders.

• blondie
    blondie

The phrase comes from the NWT at Psalm 31:24. Earliest I found was a 1962 WT.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

And often quoted to “show a waiting attitude”.

Micah 7:7

But as for me, it is for Jehovah that I shall keep on the lookout. I will show a waiting attitude for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

While we wait on Jehovah God and Jesus Christ we can do the following including speaking out about the errors of the Governing body.

Galatians 6:1 Brothers, even if a man takes a false step before he is aware of it, you who have spiritual qualifications try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness. But keep an eye on yourself, for fear you too may be tempted.

Matthew 18:15 “Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go and reveal his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, so that on the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.

Apostle Paul was not afraid to speak out when he saw things that were wrong. Here is a good example of that:

Galatians 2:6 But regarding those who seemed to be important—whatever they were makes no difference to me, for God does not go by a man’s outward appearance—those highly regarded men imparted nothing new to me.

11 However, when Ceʹphas came to Antioch, I resisted him face-to-face, because he was clearly in the wrong. 12 For before certain men from James arrived, he used to eat with people of the nations; but when they arrived, he stopped doing this and separated himself, fearing those of the circumcised class. 13 The rest of the Jews also joined him in putting on this pretense, so that even Barʹna·bas was led along with them in their pretense. 14 But when I saw that they were not walking in step with the truth of the good news, I said to Ceʹphas before them all: “If you, though you are a Jew, live as the nations do and not as Jews do, how can you compel people of the nations to live according to Jewish practice?”

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Well a lot of CSA are "waiting" on Jehoover to sort out the child abuse issues but nothing seems to be happening ergo I don't think he exists or cares.

Waiting on a god is a copout.

• careful
    careful

SBF:

And often quoted to “show a waiting attitude”.

Micah 7:7

But as for me, it is for Jehovah that I shall keep on the lookout. I will show a waiting attitude for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me.

Also sometimes used in the same context is Psalm 4:4:

Be agitated, but do sin. Have your say in your heart, upon your bed, and keep silent.

Ps. 37:7:

Keep silent before Jehovah and wait longingly for him.

and elsewhere in the Psalms (42:5, 11; 43:11; 62:5; 71:14; 119:49; 131:3, in addition to blondie's ref. above). It's a regular theme there.

I can't help but think of the parallel that whatever ancient Israelites are really responsible for writing the Psalms (no Fred Franz fantasies here), they were bummed out about the corruption that they had to endure "up top" like so many Witnesses (and ex-JWs) are today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit