Waiting On Jehovah First Mentioned?

by Ron.W. 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Yes, waiting on Jehovah for him to handle a problem/ doctrine etc.

When did the jw's first start saying that? They've been saying it as long as I can remember.

What scriptures do they trot out to back that teaching up??

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

That expression goes back a long way I guess, I think probably used by the Org. itself in a WT Mag ??

That always sounded weird to my English ear, I had a mental picture of me carrying a tray with a Drink on to Jehovah ! With me in a Waiter's Uniform ! But I have heard many English J.W's come out with that one !

I am sure it was started as a Mind Control phrase, for all those who were saying, to quote the Buybull : "But where is this promised presence of his ?".

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

Joseph waiting in prison for Jehovah to get him out after the cupbearer who was released forgot about him.

Micah waiting for Jehovah to correct the matters during the rule of the unfaithful and wicked King Ahaz - “I will show a waiting attitude for the God of my salvation. My God will hear me.”

Psalmist saying that he will wait for Jehovah to correct his opposers: May those who are resisting me

Be put to shame and perish.

May those seeking my calamity

Be covered with disgrace and humiliation

But as for me, I will continue to wait;

I will add to your praise.

Jesus asking his followers to have a waiting attitude. “Let your loins be girded and your lamps be burning, and you yourselves be like men waiting for their master when he returns from the marriage, so that at his arriving and knocking they may at once open to him. Happy are those slaves whom the master on arriving finds watching!

Peter asking his readers to have that attitude: “Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of persons ought you to be in holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion, awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah!”

• Magnum
    Magnum

I have no issue with the concept of having to wait for something that is coming, but I do have an issue with waiting for something that never comes.

JWs were told decades ago to wait on the Jehovah train and many did, all the while enduring great hardship. The train never came; it was supposed to have arrived decades ago. If it's still coming, the train company needs to be held accountable for false information that drastically negatively affected lives.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

it's a cop out! they publish lies and if you dare to complain, wait on God to fix it. Then there is new light and you have to run to catch up with the chariot!

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Magnum, Mussolini made the trains run on time by figuring out what time the trains were actually arriving and adjusting the timetables accordingly.

Not sure how to stretch any analogy to the GB's situation though. 🤔 Apart from them being a bunch of fascists...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

One of the Kingdom Songs used to go “On Jehovah we must wait …” Did that one make it into the new song book? I don’t know.

I don’t know the rest of the proper lyrics because I used to joke that all the lyrics went:

On Jehovah we must wait,

and wait and wait and wait,

aaaand wait and wait and wait,

and wait and wait and wait.

We keep on waiting, anticipating,

For on Jehovah we must wait,

yes we all must wait!

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Many thanks for all the answers.

I seem to have a distant memory of letters from the branch to people who asked perplexing problems being told to 'Wait On Jehovah'..not sure when they first started replying with that phrase though?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    When did the jw's first start saying that?

Probably from the beginning. That phrase is exclusively an OT command. The WT refuses to preach on the new command in the new testament to go to Jesus instead. Jesus is the reason people were waiting in the OT!

Over 400 times in the OT it mentions the phrase, "thus saith the Lord"; but that phrase is not in the NT even one time. However, 135 times the NT records Jesus saying "I say unto you". The NT nevers counsels to wait on Jehovah!

The reason the WT constantly advises to "wait on Jehovah" is because biblically it is a waste of time. They refuse to go to Jesus as directed. JW's are among the most disobedient people on earth.

Matthew 11:28

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 11:28-30

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Matthew 19:14

But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me

John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Luke 18:16

But Jesus called them to him, saying, “Let the children come to me,

Luke 13: 34

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem! The city that murders the prophets. The city that stones those sent to help her. How often I have wanted to gather your children together even as a hen protects her brood under her wings, but you wouldn’t let me.

John 14:14

If you ask Me for anything in My name, I will do it.

Philippians 2:9 KJV

“Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name.”

Matthew 28:18-20

“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

John 6: 37
    All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no way cast out.

• Gorb
    Gorb

It's a sect phrase. Just like "trust the brothers", "the organization says" and "we don't miss birthdays because we have every day a special day".

It's sad and i'm glad we left.

Gorby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit