Agnostics-this question is meant primarily for you-what's the best religion

by outbutnotdown 10 Replies latest jw friends

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

I consider myself to be an agnostic, and I don't really find the need to "speak" to any particular God. However, I am going through a custody battle with my ex-wife and a good part of the issue is religion... namely my strong desire to not have my children raised as Jehovah's witnesses. I don't really foresee this happening but if the judge ordered that I had to bring my children up with some sort of respect for God, I wonder which religion I would choose.

When you respond, please state if you are currently affiliated with the religion you are mentioning. I don't want to make this a free preaching forum.....

Brad

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

"IMAGINE"

Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

- John Lennon

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

For me the best religion was none, as Jim said. But my spirituality runs very deep and I practice it every day. But for everyone else the best religion is whatever path leads them to peace and hope.

Gretchen

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Hey Jim,

This is a little off topic already, but I agree with you..... hehehe. The one thing that always amazed me about John Lennon was how badly he got reamed out for saying the Beatles were bigger than Jesus, but the NO RELIGION comment never had the same effect.

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Brad,

I don't really foresee this happening but if the judge ordered that I had to bring my children up with some sort of respect for God, I wonder which religion I would choose.

It had better never happen! Religious freedom also includes the right to not believe in a God. The Agnostic belief (or lack of belief) is just as valid as any other belief system. At least most Agnostics won't stand by and watch their child die by refusing a blood transfusion just to please some god.

pseudo

"He who controls the past commands the future. He who commands the future conquers the past."
    -- George Orwell, 1984 --

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    ... but if the judge ordered that I had to bring my children up with some sort of respect for God,

He would be violating the Constitution?

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Delusional Mysticism.

All religions, all peoples, all philosophies, all cultures, all thoughts, all of everything is in fact only and always one single religion. Delusional Mysticism. Delusional Mysticism is a make it up as you go along religion. With heavy emphasis on really believing what you have made up and then completely forgeting that you have made it up and sincerly convincing yourself of the veracity of the belief, regardless of its reality and its relevance to your day to day life. After all does it really matter if you are created or evolved, since your poop is still going to smell. (Unless your a scat player).

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

The Unitarian Universalist Association welcomes agnostics and atheists into its ranks. Even ordains them as ministers; one of the best UU ministers I know is an "out" atheist.

www.uua.org

GentlyFeral

• Carmel
    Carmel

A religion that accepts all the other world religions as valid, not just other christian denominations. A religion that accepts all humanity as one, regardless of class, race, culture, or national origin. Such inclusivity in a religion that is fundamentally sound in its doctrins, not supersticious believing in devils and demons, magical hagiographics, one that upholds the principals of science rather than contending with logic and reason...

I know of only one such and it too attracts many agnostics and atheists, because it doesn't believe in 99% of the "gods" in the outdated religions that are mere shells of their original selves.

carmel

• Gadget
    Gadget

I don't think you have to be a particular religion to be a good person. Two very different religions have similar principles(At least the way I understand them), the Christian golden rula and the Wiccan reed. I would concentrate more on showing the judge that these are the principles that you will be instilling in your children, rather than following a particular religion which you may have to answer questions about in court........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit