Results of Australia's 2021 Census- More Unbelievers than Believers

by fulltimestudent 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

fulltimestudent:

I think Jeffro has spotted it, believers does not equate to christian.

People of faith i.e. believers means all people of the christian, buddhist, hindu, moslem etc faith. Got it?

• Listener
    Listener

Wikipedia has put up a table of stats., comparing religion within Australia over a number of years with the census data collections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Australia

It shows JW's at 84,400 or .3% of the population for the 2021 Census

For every other Census shown on this table, it has been .4% of the population, except for 1996 which was .5%

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It looks like Jehovah’s Witnesses, Baptists, and Seventh-day Adventists are the only Christian groups to have increased between 2016 and 2021, and JWs have the largest percentage increase of the three.

Anglicans, Catholics, Churches of Christ, Later Day Saints, Lutherans, Eastern Orthodox, Pentecostals, Presbyterians, Salvationist Army and Uniting Church all declined between 2016 and 2021.

Jehovah’s Witnesses increased by 2.3% between 2016 and 2021, whereas Mormons decreased by 6%.

Jehovah’s Witnesses, despite all their problems, and the Royal Commission in Australia, continue to outperform other religious groups. Why is that?

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

The JW message always resonates during times when there is a lot of uncertainty, fear, and stress. Economic concerns, political strife, and a war that could escalate any day are going to make people very anxious. And when someone points out how "the Bible predicted these exacts times," they find an audience that is suddenly very receptive.

That gives them the time to assimilate that person, who doesn't realize the trap has closed around them until it's too late.

Edit to add: I guess for the period from 2016 to 2021, the political uncertainty in the USA and the pandemic that followed made a big difference.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes I think most groups suffered decrease due to the pandemic whereas it seems that JWs benefitted from the crisis. It’s probably more due to people returning to the religion in time of crisis rather than new converts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit