Results of Australia's 2021 Census- More Unbelievers than Believers

by fulltimestudent 14 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

This ABC (A National government owned Media group) report states:

"For the first time, fewer than half of Australians identified as Christian, though Christianity remained the nation's most common religion (declared by 43.9 per cent of the population).

Meanwhile, the number of Australians who said they had no religion rose to 38.9 per cent (from 30.1 per cent in 2016)."

Read more? - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-28/census-2021-data-shows-a-changed-australia/101177152

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

When the 2016 Australian census came out, I did a few articles and charts on the JW specific data in the census. I will try to do that again over the next few days.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Please do shepherdless, this will be very interesting. 👍

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

fulltimestudent:

More Unbelievers than Believers

Christianity remained the nation's most common religion (declared by 43.9 per cent of the population).

Meanwhile, the number of Australians who said they had no religion rose to 38.9 per cent (from 30.1 per cent in 2016).

I think your math may be off… unless ‘believers’ means ‘only Christians’?
  • TonusOH
    TonusOH

I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't that mean that 61.1% are believers?

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

I believe in earlier times those in this category were known as "Bush Baptists!"

There were always a few of them around.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I wonder how Mormons, SDAs, Christadelphians and Unitarians are doing in Australia?

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Looking at these census results in another way, out of the Top Five "Religious Affiliations", the non-religious (aka "Bush Baptists") now lead the list at 38.9%, with the Catholic Church second at 20%, Anglican Church third at 9.8%, Islam at 3.2% and Hinduism at 2.7%.

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/people/people-and-communities/cultural-diversity-census/2021#:~:text=Media%20releases-,Key%20statistics,during%20the%20Census%20collection%20period.

Also of note is the percentage of the population who are foreign-born, at 27.6% With one in every four of the population born outside of Australia, "migrant - bashing" might not be a healthy occupation! (To say nothing of a hypocritical one).

On a concluding note, it is good to see how well my "church" is faring - i.e. the one of which I was a member of before becoming a JW, and the one I have been with ever since I gave that lot away.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Jeffro, said in part , "unless ‘believers’ means ‘only Christians’?"

The simple counting was easy to spot,. The more interesting aspect is how a national media group chose to interpret this data. Which is why I titled the post the way I did.

interestingly, The Sydney Morning Herald, part of another National Media group, ran a similar headline, I didn't use it because it has a paywall.

And, so Jeffro "unless ‘believers’ means ‘only Christians’" is apparently how some wanted to see this data, which is interesting from a sociological viewpoint.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Just a brief update about extracting JW specific data from the census. In short, the relevant database does not appear to be available for interrogation, yet. The ABS does release data in stages. I will check every day or so. I am curious, myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit