Day 5 - Fessler vs. Watchtower – Ends: Plaintiff settles in Jehovah’s Witness Child Abuse Trial

by darkspilver 90 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Day 5 in court - and apparently the plaintiff Stephanie Fessler has decided to settle....

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/02/jehovahs_witness_sexual_abuse.html

Jehovah's Witness sexual-abuse-coverup lawsuit settled

February 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM, updated February 13, 2017 at 2:44 PM

PHILADELPHIA - A settlement agreement has been reached, but neither the victim nor the church she said failed to report her sexual abuse to the authorities can talk about it.

On the fifth day of trial Monday in Philadelphia County Court, Stephanie Fessler, of Lancaster, settled the suit she filed against the Jehovah's Witness Church in Spring Grove.

"The matter with the Jehovah's Witnesses has been resolved," her attorney, Jeffrey Fritz, said Monday.

And that was all he could say due to the confidential settlement agreement, which bars all parties from talking about the case or disclosing the amount of the settlement.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/02/jehovahs_witness_sexual_abuse.html

Sorry - I posted here also, but it seemed more appropriate to follow the original OP's format and do a new thread for a new day in court, and so it didn't get buried. See also this 'pre-trial' thread.

• sir82
    sir82

I wonder how many JWs understand that their "worldwide work" contributions are going to settle child abuse lawsuits?

I wonder how many JWs understand how many dozens of these cases have been thusly settled, and how many dozens or hundreds more such cases are in the pipeline?

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

How many? How many settle and vanish?

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

The story looks to have been picked up by The Evening Sun which is part of the USA Today Network - though they've just summarized the OP article.

http://www.eveningsun.com/story/news/2017/02/13/sex-abuse-case-spring-grove-church-settles/97868588/

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Settled? Wow... Based on what I read on jwsurvey it seemed like Fessler had the winning side. May be the settlement was large enough?

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I'm SO disappointed. I thought she would really see this through. Well, hey, like what was said, there must be many more in the pipeline.

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

If every now and again, one of the abused takes the loot and helps the others, then others can sacrifice themselves and drag it out to the finale attracting public attention.

I just hope that there is some cooperation going on and some sharing.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

When you think about it, its really immaterial if Fessler decided to claim the compensation or expend herself just to make a point. Ether way, the Society lost. As another child abuse case became public and they took a costly hit to their resources. Until the day that the Governing Body finally understands their culpability, this is how its will play out ... more bad press and more money lost.

• zeb
    zeb

One of my early doubts was when overseers at conventions would say that the wts has never lost a court case.

No its payout no apology and shut up. and my warmest best wishes for Ms Fessler. I hope they use the payout to good end and ignore 'friends' who will turn up asking for money.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I think that every time a child sexual abuse case against the Jehovahs Witnesses is settled out of court with a gag clause against speaking about the settlement agreed upon by both partys doesnt bode well for the JW`s.

In their paying for a settlement , it is an admission of guilt / culpability .on their part.

If they were completely innocent guilt free why wouldnt they fight tooth and nail to defend themselves.?

Because they are not innocent guilt free .and thats why they are paying to shut the victims up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit