A Question about Spiritistic Books

by schnell 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

I have many artifacts and a few books that could be considered of the 'occult' in my home. There is nada happening here in terms of spirit encounters or devil visitation, or any other such thing going on.

Everything one experiences is due to their physiological makeup and world. Our brains control everything about our own experiences. If one's mind is not trained to be a critical thinker, then superstitions and fears can overrule any otherwise logical or rational explanation that is really occurring.

• jwabuse.com
    jwabuse.com

I'm in the middle of re-reading Manly P. Hall's Secret Teachings of all Ages right now. Read a lot of esoteric stuff years ago, revisiting it again now that I've dropped out. Seeing it with fresh eyes, the WTs ignorance on the source of certain things and references in the Bible as well as their ignorant claims on historical figures and what they believed is pretty laughable.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

That bad feeling you get from dark spaces isn't a ghost or a spirit, it's the Vashta Nerada. As proof, I offer a source that is about a credible as the Bible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOE90ZSundc

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    schnell Write this down .... there no such thing as spirits, big , little, good or bad.

This concept was devised and created inherently upon human ignorance, that's not going to change unless there is factual evidence to support this concept.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

One of the most fascinating, and somewhat sad, things Sir Conan Doyle, the author of the Sherlock Holmes detective series, accepted Theosophy completely right down to the existence of fairies. One of his not so memorable books was entitled The Coming of the Fairies. In it he tried to prove the existence of those wee critters by using the most ridiculous and obviously fake photographs. A supreme irony that he was the author of a character that was a super logical detective.

Doyle was haunted, not by demons but by many of his dead relatives who died a premature death during his lifetime. He took comfort with Theosophy's promise that one can communicate with the dead.

Below is one of the photographs that he took seriously in his book.

• schnell
    schnell

@Village Idiot about Doyle, yep. That "Spooky Science" book I mentioned above in this thread talks at length about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini. People like Mesmer and the lady who said Mark Twain (an atheist) spoke to her through a Ouija board and had her write a terrible book are also mentioned.

By the way, that Secret Teachings book is illuminating. Adam is clearly a metaphor. The tree of life (the Sephirothic tree) resembles a person and is comparable to the image in Nebuchadnezzar's dream as well as the Tetragrammaton written vertically, and the Ankh if I might add. The Tabernacle is copied from Egyptian temples, as is the Ark of the Covenant from the Egyptian Ark. Moses is so comparable to Hermes/Thoth, right down to the Caduceus with the snakes wrapped around it, that I'm convinced that's all he is. Just amazing stuff. I might pick the book up in print later on. I know there's a section on Pyramidology in there, and boy do I want to get to that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit