"Marking"

by confused 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• confused
    confused

Hi,

Please can anyone help me to find any information from society's literature on the subject of Marking. I wasn't aware it was still practiced. I would like to know how it is explained as being in any way scriptural.

Many thanks

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Yes, it is.

2 Thessalonians 3:14 & 15 - "But if anyone is not obedient to our word through this letter, keep this one marked and stop associating with him, so that he may become ashamed. And yet do not consider him an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother."

1999 Watchtower 15 July 1999 pages 29 to 31

Questions From Readers: Is the 'marking' mentioned at 2 Thessalonians 3:14 a formal congregational process, or is it something that Christians individually do in avoiding unruly ones?

scan to link

scan to link

scan to link

• Splash
    Splash

Here's the history of their teaching...

JWAwake

• confused
    confused

Thank you very much, that was really helpful

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Marking is a quite rare phenomenon. DFing is much more common.

In my 35 years in, I knew the policy exists, but never heard of anyone being marked. An 50+ born in elder in my congo also never heard anyone being marked in a talk.

Until a sister in my congo yelled at and insulted an elder in the kh. On her way out, she did the same to an other elder. She also somewhat assaulted this elder by grabbing/pulling his tie while shouting at him. Her husband stood by and did nothing.

Since they refused to talk to elders after that, and wouldn't apologize, they were 'marked' in a talk. Without naming them, first the marking procedure was explained ('marked men are not DF, but don't socialize except at meetings. When talking to them, encourage to set things straight with Jehovah'). Then the unruly behavior (shouting at and assaulting other JWs) was explained as bad behavior. So far, it didn't help the elders much as they are still waiting for their apologies...

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I think a full-blown proper 'marking' talk is very rare, for a number of reasons...

Firstly, due to the lead time needed in agreeing, organising and actually giving the marking talk, it is often overtaken by events and becomes judicial anyway.

Secondly, rather than a 'marking' talk the issue is addressed by a 'local needs' item.

• alanv
    alanv

There are many things they know they cannot disfellowship you for, but a persons attitude may go against the advice of the governing body. For instance the person could be encouraging all the young ones in the cong to go on to further education including university, even helping them choose what and where to study. So the elders could well give a talk on the dangers of this. There are many other examples but this is just one I thought of.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

So the elders could well give a talk on the dangers of this.

Which means it's more likely to be handled as a local needs item, rather than a specific 'between-the-eyes' marking talk.

I think it probably boils down to the fact that elders don't like giving specific marking talks and would much prefer to do a general local needs item that addresses the specific perceived 'need' within the item.

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

I have been marked for marrying a non-believer (catholic), had a beautiful discourse. The following week-end, some proclaimers refused to go with me in the field. So the elder told to the 15 proclaimers of the group : I think it would be better brother Polish Clarinet went from door to door alone!

• dozy
    dozy

It is very rare - I only knew of one marking talk in 40 odd years as a JW. This was for a brother who was dating an "unbeliever" and the elders suspected he was committing immorality but couldn't prove it. Eventually he got DFd ( and then reinstated as usual after a year or so after he married her - the usual pony and trap show. )

It always seemed to me to be a really vague system which I guess is why it is very rarely used. What exactly do they mean by "withdrawing social contact"? - our congregation wasn't really much of a social or hospitable cong anyway , other than the usual cliques. I remember after the talk people seemed really puzzled. A few went up to the PO who gave the talk asking for clarification & who he was talking about ( he couldn't name him , obviously. )

The irony was that the guy used to play football with us every week & the arrangement continued for the next couple of months until he decided to stop attending & then got DFd. All a bit pointless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit