Inevitable Life - Video

by cofty 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Very interesting lecture and Q&A session by Professor Eric Smith of the Santa Fe Institute.

In his discussion of the primacy of energy there is a lot of overlap with the ideas of Nick Lane of University College London. If you still think abiogenesis had something to do with "primordial soup" you should invest half an hour to watch this.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I will watch this Cofty. Probably not when i have just got in from the pub.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Good one Cofty. There has been discussion on the latest developments in research into abiogenesis in Neww Scientist recently that has been very interesting.

The discovery that Europa is spewing water into space is getting scientists excited as well as this represents an opportunity to capture material from beneath the ice crust without the risks associated with landing on the moon then having to try and somehow get beneath the surface. There is alot of speculation that if anywhere in the solar system could support some kind of micro bacterial life then it would be Europa.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

False advertising Cofty, that was over an hour, not a half hour, lol.

Very good, though a bit over my head. Do I understand it right that one of the challenges of replicating life in the lab is that we don't know what the chemical structure of the earth was at that time, because life itself has altered the chemical structure of the earth?

• A Ha
    A Ha
    False advertising Cofty, that was over an hour, not a half hour, lol.

I thought the same thing, then I figured I watch YouTube videos at 1.25x or 1.5x, maybe cofty watches them at 2x. (I'm also ashamed to admit how many years it took me to realize you could watch at different speeds. It was life-changing.)

• cofty
    cofty

Well you could watch half an hour twice!

Yes LisaRose that is one of the big challenges of recreating prebiotic conditions in the lab. There are so many variables. The temperature, pressure, mix of gases in the atmosphere, the metallic catalysts, the PH balance etc etc.

Interesting to hear that most of the Krebs Cycle has been achieved already! I need to listen to it again, it was in the background while I was cooking and I missed some of the details.

• A Ha
    A Ha

The rest of us have to watch it multiple times at half speed and cofty critiques the makeup of early proton pumps as background noise while he braises the lamb.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Thank you for posting this cofty. I may have to view it more than once also. He went a bit fast for this getting-older-when-I-wasn't-supposed-to person. I thought this image was very interesting. Religion makes out like we are da-bomb of all species when we are just one small spec in the giant dichotomy on this Earth. Also, why doesn't the Bible mention bacteria? They are fundamental to life on this planet and a very key part of ensuring materials are re-purposed back into more life. And they were here long before plants, animals and fungi.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

This looks good! Will watch with my wife this weekend.

• LV101
    LV101

I'm watching in slo-mo/more than once -- thanks for posting for us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit