Tax question: How are illegals paid at farms, lawn care, construction, etc?

by Bad_Wolf 17 Replies latest social current

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Well I for one know one passport officer who kep a few " blank" passports, and gave them to people he deemed " worthy".... Usually good looking girls, if you get my drift. Mind you this was about 16 or 17 years ago.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oh and that reminds me they used to apply for national insurance numbers or claim in the name of a person who died as a child so never entered the workforce. That ruse has Now been stopped in the UK. Or work in the name of someone who emigrated /lived abroad fairly young, too.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Paying cash "under the table" is not happening. Most contractors do not do the labor themselves. They subcontract all that out.

You don't need a SSN to open a bank account. You can apply to the IRS for an EIN number. After opening a bank account, the criminal alien usually just cashes their check at their own bank or at the employer's bank.

Employers may or may not be 10-99 the criminal aliens. If they do they are scott free. 10-99 employees are not employees of the company.

• TD
    TD

Most contractors do not do the labor themselves. They subcontract all that out.

Most of the larger generals (Kitchell for example) are basically management companies, who contract everything out.

But the subcontractors are contractors in their own right and have similar licensing and bonding requirements.

Competition in construction is fierce and sometimes cut-throat. Subs are only too happy to report competitors who are knowingly hiring illegals.

For their own self-preservation, they all use E-Verify and submit to the audits in good faith.

• Simon
    Simon
    SS numbers are issued at birth, so there is a period of years, where they're not actually being used.

Increasingly, young people will find their credit history is trashed even before they start work. Great eh? Maybe you have student debt and something else to worry about or maybe you won't even get to enrol because some illegal stole your identity and you only just found out about it.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf

The contractor or one person taking the check and distributing makes sense. BUT then the money trail goes to him, if his illegal people he pays don't have SS numbers, then he'd have to charge a lot more than 15% because if his money doesn't go elsewhere he'd pay tax on it.

The SSN seems it should be an easy thing for the government to monitor and fix. Wages should not and could not be coming in for anybody under 16 years of age since they can't work. If they see 8 year olds having thousands of dollars that should red flag as child labor law or illegal/stolen. If SSN is of working age and 1099 comes in, and the illegal doesn't file taxes and pay SS tax on it, then they would find the person who is issuing the 1099 to track down that person. Unless the SSN only have less than a taxable income.

About home prices going up if illegals were gone, I disagree on that. Home prices are way inflated. Home being built with cheapest materials and cheapest options, costing 40 or 50k to build, then selling for 250k etc. Or the contractors charging over 100 per hour and paying just $10 an hour to the labor, etc.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I know of an illegal that was able to get a SS# number from a dead person about his same age. From there he was able to move on and became this person. He now has credit a business a home and everything else a legal can have.

• TD
    TD

The contractor or one person taking the check and distributing makes sense. BUT then the money trail goes to him, if his illegal people he pays don't have SS numbers, then he'd have to charge a lot more than 15% because if his money doesn't go elsewhere he'd pay tax on it.

Mobile check cashing services like I described are in no way responsible for whether the worker is legal or not. That's entirely on the employer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit