Jehovahs Witness n Retention rates !!! Check this out.

by ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    JW GoneBad - "WT's only saving grace that helps them stay afloat has been their investment in real estate..."

Until, of course, they've eventually liquidated the vast majority of it just to cover the constant rising tide of legal expenses (and maybe taxes if/when they lose their exemption).

As the old saying goes, "you can only sell off the family silver once".

• matt2414
    matt2414

It may only seem like a higher percentage of Mormon's are leaving their faith because there are twice as many of them as JWs. There are only about 8 million Witnesses in the world, but there are well over 16 million Mormons. And in the U.S. there are a little over 1.2 million JWs, but over 6.5 million Mormons. So while they are both losing a lot of members, percentage-wise the Witnesses are losing at a higher rate.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

It should be expected that retention rate is so low. Their bread and butter is capitalizing on different dates for the end of the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Tower_Society_unfulfilled_predictions

1878: End of the harvest[edit]

In 1876 Russell adopted the belief promulgated by some Adventist preachers that Jesus' parousia, or presence, had begun in 1874 and that the gathering of the little flock preliminary to the grand climax was already in progress. Using a form of parallel dispensations that incorporated "types" and "antitypes"—historical situations that prefigured corresponding situations later in time[9]—he calculated the harvest would extend only to 1878, at which time the gathered saints would be translated into spirit form.[10][2] The year would also bring the beginning of the "exercise of power" of God's kingdom, with evidence that God's favor was returning to the Jews.[11]

The failure of Russell's prediction did not significantly alter the movement's short-term, date-focused orientation. In early 1881 Russell asserted that 1878 had, indeed, been a milestone year, marking the point at which "the nominal Christian churches were cast off from God's favor".[12]

1881: A revised end of the harvest[edit]

By 1881 Russell had found a biblical basis for extending the harvest to a new date, later that year.[5] He explained:

Coming to the spring of 1878 ... we naturally and not unreasonably expected some change of our condition, and all were more or less disappointed when nothing supernatural occurred. But our disappointment was brief, for we noticed that the Jewish church (and not the Gospel church) was the pattern of ours, and therefore we should not expect parallels to Pentecost or to anything which happened in the beginning of this church.[12]

Russell wrote that "the light upon our pathway still shines and is more and more glorious" and that since 1878 the light had glowed stronger. The timing of their translation to heaven seemed nearer, he wrote: "We know not the day or hour, but expect it during 1881, possibly near the autumn where the parallels show the favor to Zion complete and due to end, the door to the marriage to shut, and the high calling to be the bride of Christ, to cease."[12]

The second failure in 1881 precipitated a more serious crisis in the Bible Student ranks and for several years Russell's followers waited for the belated translation to occur.[5] Russell's chronological timetable had already identified 1914 as the ultimate end of the "time of trouble", and this preserved the commitment of followers who might have been discouraged by their failed expectations for 1881.[13] Yet many members found it inconceivable that their earthly departure might be delayed that long. Russell consoled members with the news that 1881 had still marked the time when "death became a blessing" in the sense that any saint who died would henceforth be instantaneously changed into a spirit being.[14] The revised view provided comfort for early believers who had held the view that the living faithful would never experience a physical death, and yet had seen other members in fact dying while they awaited their upward call. After 1881 physical death was defined as one of the ways in which some of the saints might undergo their translation.[5]

1914: The end of human rulership[edit]

Russell's Studies in the Scriptures series had explicitly identified October 1914 as the "full end of the times of the Gentiles" and consequently the "farthest limit" of human rulership.[15] It would bring the beginning of Christ's millennial reign[1] and all his followers expected the immediate "translation of the saints" to rule with the revealed Christ that year. Following the earth's tribulation and unrest, the Jews would return to God's favor, the "nominal Church" would have fallen, the final battle between Christ and Satan would have ended, the kingdoms of the world would be overthrown, and Christ would have gathered his saints into heaven, where they would reign with him, and when the millennium would begin.[1] The belief was unequivocal, based on his study of the Bible and the Great Pyramid, and satisfied only upon the establishment of an earthly paradise; Russell remarked that by altering the prophecy even one year would destroy the perfect symmetry of its biblical chronology.[16] In the second book of his Studies in the Scriptures series he described it as "an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished at the end of A.D. 1914".[17] The result, he wrote, was that "all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved",[17] along with the destruction of "what God calls Babylon, and what men call Christendom".[18] In an 1894 Watch Tower, responding to readers who questioned whether—because of recent political upheavals—the world could last until 1914, he wrote:

We see no reason for changing the figures—nor could we change them if we would, They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of the trouble.[19]

As 1914 approached, excitement mounted over the expected "change" of anointed Christians.[5] Early that year some Bible Students, convinced the end of the world had arrived, began distributing their material belongings, abandoning their jobs and eagerly anticipating the future.[20] In May 1914—five months from the expected end—Russell warned followers against succumbing to doubt: …….

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I read an article where most people are giving up on religion,especially in the Western world,which I feel is a good thing.

Most of my friends left the Witnesses before me. I was the last one to leave. And most of the ones ,I knew growing up,are no longer active.

Jehovah's Witnesses expect more from their members than other religions too. A lot of other religions,one just has to fill up a seat on Sunday. I'm sure if that is all it took to be a Witness,many would still be hanging around.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Probably the most common reason the JWS has a low retention rate is because of its false doctrines which were mostly devised to enhance literature proliferation.

This religion lacks the meaning of what true Christianity should be.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ZINDAG:

I’m sure failed prophecy is at the top of the list for JWs low retention rate and the 1975 fiasco is the biggest reason many left.

Anybody who sold all their stuff or quit jobs had to start all over again. This is LIFE CHANGING and not something people recover from.., I came in after this and there was not a whisper about it. But, I found out in time how damaged I could have been if I had listened to criticism of my full-time job..Thankfully I ignored the labels of how “unspiritual” I was or I would not be retired!

This and other bad or cruel attitudes, intrusiveness and the burden of all the stupid meetings was enough to wear me out. But, the 1995 Generation thing was the last straw. I knew I could no longer continue and I planned my ‘fade’ from the charade.

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

@LongHairGal

Glad you have made it out . Yes it is a challenge and an uphill struggle. Thank you for sharing.

Zing

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This religion was built up from lies, ignorance, corruption and pretentiousness operating as a religious publishing house.

Based from that fact and that many religious institutions are in decline in most modernized countries, the JWS religion doesn't look very good for growth in the near future.

Nevertheless there is still money there and power for men to relish in for they actually live off the proceeds of the organization.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I betcha that half the people attending 2019 are PIMO and looking for the right time to make an exit. Many of those PIMO are meeting other PIMO and it's a vicious cycle that spells DOOM for this bull shitting cult.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

As far as I'm concerned, PIMOs can stay in as much as they want, as long as they keep (non)-voting with their wallets.

Ain't no resistance like passive resistance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit