Meanwhile over at exjw reddit

by nowwhat? 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

The worst of exJW reddit is as you say but the best is worth checking out. Perhaps it was the time when you checked in, but the moderators have attempted to highlight the more thoughtful posts and put less emphasis on memes and photos. One thing I have noticed is the number of well written posts by younger PIMOs or exJWs.

The reddit moderators do not intrude beyond reminding posters of the need to follow the rules. One of the difficulties I have with this forum is it does descend from time to time to a degree of ill-tempered posts decrying either the right or (more likely) the left with the level of debate down to who can make the most controversial statements about "some" exJWs. But I also acknowledge that this forum is a platform for some of the most compelling posts on moving on from JW organization I have ever read.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

The format of exJW reddit likely appeals well to those raised on the likes of Instagram, Twitter and similar. As for myself (and possibly other more "old school" types), I don't feel so comfortable posting in such an environment.

However, its focus on JW matters rather than on politics is pleasing.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I tried exJW Reddit and didn`t feel at al comfortable with it ( I am old ) so I much prefer this site.

However I think pistolpete makes a compelling argument for the younger generation on it.

Kudos to the young who wake up that the JW religion is a cult before they are out of their teens.

• menrov
    menrov

I cannot say much about the EXJW Reddit forum but I have to agree with Anders Andersen that lately I see quite a number of political posts on here that have little to do with JW's or WT.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I don`t know why people get upset about the political discussions that go on here ,that`s one of the topics for discussion that Adults can have and its a separate subject of its own ?

JW`s were/are banned from discussing or being involved in politics ,converts were participants beforehand and ex JW`s are now engaging in politics it has its place on this forum.

The moderators have given us a wide variety of subjects we can post on its not exclusively for JW topics only ?

If people don`t like it don`t read that section.

Its not rocket science ? { sorry I couldn`t resist that }

• LV101
    LV101

I think political posts can be polarizing the same as when Obummer was in office and some were gagging and holding on but reluctant to say much. It's good we're more vocal now - I know so many like poster in another topic today (sorry/another post/UK) that gave up/didn't even bother to vote until 4 yrs. ago. Everyone needs hope.

We do learn from one another re/politics (like religion) and I think this site is great for facts as long as we don't blow up and take time (not easy) to read. I'm unfamiliar with Reddit unless someone links.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    I don`t know why people get upset about the political discussions that go on here ,that`s one of the topics for discussion that Adults can have

If only the adults could have some civilized and rational conversations on politics I wouldn't mind at all.

and its a separate subject of its own?

Unless you check the forum by 'latest' activity to keep up.

It would be great if it were possible to 'hide' certain forum sections from view. I would definitely use that.

• LV101
    LV101

Politics/Religion always sensitive subjects. It's odd how many of us have flipped political parties (none at all/independent/Dem/Rep/whatever) so we're obviously capable of hearing others. Seems religion isn't such a hot button as decades ago but possibly because it's tabu to discuss in public -- much like politics.

It's good to have a board like this where we've freedom to sound off and just have to learn to take constructive criticism from others - not easy, but good. I'd love to hear views re/why others prefer this/that the other rather than endorsements of candidates (which are good, also). How can anyone trust government to do anything right - I think that's the concern of many. Freedom and independence is a beautiful thing once we make the great escape from authoritarian parent(s) and cults and religions if controlling.

• steve2
    steve2

exJW reddit has a noticeably high volume of traffic so it is relatively easy to spot perhaps the more superficial posts (e.g., look at me with a tattoo on my shoulder). That said, there are a number of heart-rending posts that elicit a high degree of moral support and the level of advice is on the main, responsible. Yes, it does seem to appeal to a different audience of exJWs and/or PIMOs.

• just fine
    just fine

For me I’ve moved on from most things JW and am not actively involved in the day to day goings on. But politics are something I am involved in, so while I don’t comment a lot on them, I do enjoy reading them.

Maybe the difference is the demographics of the two sites or newly ex-JW vs long time ex-JW?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit