Do i still believe in GOD?

by smoky21 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• smoky21
    smoky21
    Hi, everyone
    I not new new... i have been here before under a different user, i just forgot my log-in info after a long time...so i created a new one.I from time to time post something. Usually I just like reading post, cuz you guys are great.
    I consider myself a Atheist. I came to this conclusion a few years ago, but i think I have always been skeptical about god's existence.I don’t ever remember having experiencing the holy spirit, or anything supernatural Good or Evil, so I cannot relate to people who have.I always thought I was good person (never steal, fornicated or hurt anyone), yet never felt blessed by god. I never felt good enough.What da Phuck do I need to do to get Gods Approval?...at the end...its cuz nobody is home up there.
    I had a generally mild traumatic experience this past weekend. I decided to go get me a quick bite to eat at small Fast food place, it was slow at the time and there was just one other customer that placed a order after me. He seemed like a nice older man, we chatted about food, and he even recommended me a good fried chicken place to go. Once my order was ready i picked it up, left, and said goodbye. I got into my car and drove about 1/2 mile to a grocery store to do some shopping. Then noticed a problem I CANT FIND MY WALLET!!!! (enter dramatic music here). I rushed back (10 min later). It turns out, I (like a dumbass) left my wallet on the counter of pickup window of the Fast food place, and the nice older man took it.
    I immediately felt shame, and verbally beat myself for pucking up. I also then felt confused, why did he take it? Why didn’t he turn it in to the establishment? then...(here is the kicker) I started to feel that this older man is going to HELL. HELL. God is going to punish this man.
    Why was I feeling this way? Could it be that, I have not totally stop believing in God? Hmmm. Could it be just a force of years of habit?My experience is not that traumatic compare to, for example: losing a love one. Could extreme emotional trauma drive you back (to religion)?
    Has anyone ever had such a crisis of faith or no faith, after a traumatic experience?

ThanksSmoky
  • cofty
    cofty

Hi Smoky, welcome back. What was your old username?

Interesting experience. I think the desire for justice is a big factor in the invention of god.

I have to say that in my own case nothing has ever caused me to question my disbelief. There are atheists in foxholes.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I was trout fishing along a stream. I heard a bee buzz close by...... then this bang. My body knew before my brain Gunshots! And i just dropped into the stream managed to hold on to my fly pole lol.

The shooting continued for 6 or 7 more rounds then I see something shinny bright and it's an empty can of beer floating along then a couple of more. I put it together that some idiot who didn't know I was fishing was upstream target shooting and the rounds kept going or ricocheted... whatever. I lay in the mud until I heard a car drive off.

I made it off the stream decided to call it a day. Driving home and it hit me I hadn't thought to pray for god to help me out. Never crossed my mind........... that's when I realized I was past the god thing.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    How do you know he took the wallet? He may not have even noticed it and somebody else picked it up.
  • smoky21
    smoky21

cofty,

Yes I'm still using my old username Smoky. ha ha.

bye the way....I found my wallet in my mailbox the following morning.

I guess the older man did have some semblance of a conscious. Thought he did not return my $180 dollars....Bastard!!!! he's going to Hell alright!!!!!

• smoky21
    smoky21

VI,

I'm not absolutely sure who took it. The patrons running the Fast food place told me that he was the last customer, before i got back to ask around. (during our conv. older man was complaining that he only had $6 to spend too) the Patrons seemed concerned also that it happened in his establishment, funny things though they said there are no cameras. I found that suspicious , being that its not the bests of neighborhoods, & there was 1" thick clear wall between them and customers like the Currency Exchange stores here in the US. I guess it does not matter, who took it. my feeling where the same.

Bastard!!!!!! GO TO HELL!!!!!

• stuffwotifink
    stuffwotifink
    There is a difference between you wanting him to go to hell and you thinking he actually might.
    It seems more like you are wishing for a moment that it was true - rather than thinking it actually is true.
  • smoky21
    smoky21

hmmm. Your right Stuffwotifink.

Like Cofty, mentioned in his post. I guess I felt the need for justice, and him going to hell is more common way of thinking for a christian raised person.

'What goes around, comes around' (karma) is more likely the montra I will use to forget about it.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I think for a lot of people "God" is a real person to them. A real friend. Shaking that delusion can be more than a bit difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqj1DhUKJco

• Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

I have to say that in my own case nothing has ever caused me to question my disbelief. There are atheists in foxholes

@COFTY; I have found that anybody who does not take a step back and question their own assumptions are usually blind to them.

As a theist, I constantly challenge my own position with new arguments I encounter. This has always been a good way for me to evaluate the consistency of my own point of view. Just a thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit