Anybody know about this one?

by careful 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• careful
    careful

A new book has just been published called The Oxford Handbook of the Bible in America. In it is an article by Michael Gilmour, professor of New Testament at (the Evangelical) Providence University College in Manitoba, Canada, on JWs and the NWT. That's chapter 41. But that is not the only time JWs are brought up.

In chapter 1 entitled "Protestant English-Language Bible Publishing and Translation," written by Paul Gutjahr, professor of English at Indiana University and the overall editor of the volume, is the following: "The third wave of Bible publishing also saw the appearance of three material changes…" He describes the first as flexible, soft leather bindings and the second as using red letters for the words of Jesus. Then he says:

"Finally, in the 1920s Bibles began to be printed on thinner, less costly, more transportable paper, an innovation that gained such popularity among Bible publishers that the paper came to be known as 'bible paper.' Such paper was actually the invention of the Jehovah's Witnesses whose publishing center in Brooklyn, New York, worked with cigarette manufacturers in the 1920s to create a paper that would be lightweight yet durable enough to hold printer's ink in a clean and legible manner." (p. 12)

Gutjahr gives no reference for his statement. I looked through that part of the Proclaimers book which discusses the WTS's history of publishing Bibles prior to the NWT (pp. 603-607) and could find no clue as to this. Does anyone know the story here?

• menrov
    menrov
    God bless the cigarette manufacturer: "invention of the Jehovah's Witnesses whose publishing center in Brooklyn, New York, worked with cigarette manufacturers in the 1920s to create a paper that would be lightweight yet durable enough to hold printer's ink in a clean and legible manner."
  • stillin
    stillin

Pagan roots! Ironic

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

That's interesting.

Someone highlighted this book here last week:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/7dk1ul/new_researchreport_on_oxford_handbooks_online_for/

Apparently Michael J. Gilmour has written "An Outsider’s Notes on the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ Revelation: Its Grand Climax at Hand!"

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Thats interesting if it's true.

Funnily enough, im currently using my NWT to roll my joints. I've got like a thousand pages to get through.

• stillin
    stillin

PaleEmperor, that's quite a sacrifice. Burn one for me, will you?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Be mindful of the carcinogens from the burning ink.

• Betheliesalot
    Betheliesalot

Finally some concrete usefulness from the silver sword, the light gets brighter and brighter with each drag!

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

PaleEmperor, that's quite a sacrifice. Burn one for me, will you?

I intend to.

Be mindful of the carcinogens from the burning ink.

Finally some concrete usefulness from the silver sword, the light gets brighter and brighter with each drag!

It actually gives you a slight sore throat. I think it's the ink. But the paper burns fine. The first one i lit up was Psalms 83:18. That was a good smoke.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Gutjahr ought to get his facts right, Jehovah's Witnesses did not exist in the 1920s and therefore could not have "invented" Bible paper at that time. There is a faint possibility that it was a Bible Student who was also a paper technician who developed Bible paper according to the demands of Bible publishers. Did the Watchtower Society even print Bibles back in that decade? I didn't think they did but am happy to be corrected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit