Protest for Mandatory Reporting?

by Luther bertrand 15 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Luther, I am a supporter of activist activity and I do think your idea of taking protest "to the streets" could be effective.

However, I also believe in non-violent protest and activities that are designed to get media attention. Because, when it comes down to it, that is what performative protest aims to do - raise awareness. And media coverage is critical to ensure that the activism is effective.

Your passion is to be admired and you need a focus to be effective. A simple act that is repetitive and rational could draw attention.

If it is mandatory reporting laws that you want to change, then I would suggest that the venue for performing your activist actions could be at the court houses where sex abuse cases are being heard.

Example: protesters/activists dressed in some unique way - maybe in simple black or white clothing or ?? - and all wearing gags over their mouths. And maybe some accompanying signage and/or simple actions. Something that would look good in a photograph or on a TV screen. Peaceful and with all the city bylaws adhered to (permits,etc). And, in a public space - not inside the courthouse but rather in the spaces surrounding the courtroom.

Good activism is rational and planned and does not include violence or uncontrolled behaviour.

And yes, I think your idea of targeting secular institutions with your message could be effective. If it is planned carefully and legally. And especially if you target events and places that attract media attention. Rationality and coolness of head will get your message across.

• Simon
    Simon
    Supporting a group effort, especially one that already has political backing, generally has more of an effect than a few individuals stood around at a protest.

I agree. exJW's alone aren't going to be as significant as joining with other existing groups to to make it mandatory for all groups to have to report abuse crimes - no "clergy privilege" which is an outdated notion and relies on policing of a group and internal checks that are not done to any sufficient standard.

After all, do you want to protect minors (whatever church they are dragged to) or do you just want to give some negative publicity for the WTS (which will mostly only be noticed by exJWs)?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Every state should have mandatory reporting of child sex abuse. Why on Earth is it otherwise?!
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Agreed.. Something has to be done. Has to. Somebody has to spearhead this.
  • Enlightenment123
    Enlightenment123
    Done the right way and legally, yes. Other places would be more effective than at a KH/event. Every state should have mandatory reporting. Change needs to happen. If it can be taken to the powers that be, using the WTS as an example, it should be. People need to stand together and get lawmakers to understand that this should be mandatory across the board, to protect all children in any religion.
  • Luther bertrand
    Luther bertrand
    All those interested in collaborating message me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit