Shunning and persecution

by Vanderhoven7 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Grant Davies adds

A person who leaves the congregation has their departure announced in exactly the same way as a disfellowshipped person:

“[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.” (Shepherd the flock of God, 2020 pp149)

No distinction is made to the congregation as to whether the person has left or been disfellowshipped and so shunning is employed.

This rather says it all:

The Watchtower September 15, 1981 p. 23
    “Persons who make themselves “not of our sort” by deliberately rejecting the faith and beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses should appropriately be viewed and treated as are those who have been disfellowshipped for wrongdoing.”

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Anyone would think it's a just a corrupt big business and discriminating cult pretending to be a religion.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Anyone with half a brain or two brain cells to rub together would realize just that,,,,,that it's just a big business disguised as a religion.

When you have something raking in billions of dollars,,,,,,those who run the scheme want to keep it going. By isolating it's members and keeping the gaslighting going. They have to keep you in the matrix. Like those constant meeting, FS, a$$emblies and on........

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Graeme Hammond writes

In his 2002 book that examined the behaviour and practices of Jehovah’s Witnesses, English sociologist Andrew Holden devoted an entire chapter to the trauma and friction experienced by those who choose to leave the Jehovah’s Witness religion. “Those who do eventually break free,” he concluded, “are seldom allowed a dignified exit.”

He noted: “As far as the Governing Body is concerned, there is no difference between those who leave the Watch Tower community voluntarily and those who are disfellowshipped.”

Though the Watch Tower Society denies it, those who who choose to depart are shunned by family and friends. This, as Holden says, can create enormous problems given that JWs are urged to limit their contact with the outside world for fear of “spiritual contamination”.

There are three exit doors for Jehovah’s Witnesses:

• Disfellowshipping, as a result of a judicial committee, a shocking kangaroo court process that results in organised shunning, with even verbal greetings prohibited;

• Disassociation, a voluntary but formal cutting of ties with the congregation and religion, which attracts the same response from the congregation; and

• “Fading”, in which JWs gradually reduce their contact with the congregation before ceasing attendance entirely, hoping their absence won’t be missed.

Those who do “fade” however, not only often find that they are shunned by former friends anyway, but that their new life of independence — which may include celebrating Christmas, attending a different church, engaging in premarital sex or criticising their former religion — can result in being summoned to a judicial committee with the likely result of being disfellowshipped. Jehovah’s Witnesses regard baptism as a lifelong commitment to the church, and therefore lifelong subjection to the authority of elders.

Non-believers (those who have never joined the Jehovah’s Witnesses) are not formally shunned; they are simply avoided as “bad association”.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Why can WatchTower call the expulsion of Mennonites cruel while calling expulsion of JWs a loving provision?

"Rules for thee, but not for me!"

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my daughter has totally shunned me since her early teens. She is now in her 50's and has 4 daughters herself.

Earlier this year i wrote to my daughter--and delivered the letter marked " private and confidential" by hand to her address.

In my letter i wrote that i needed to discuss important family business. I gave my address, mobile phone number and email address.

A week or so later i got a call on my mobile--number witheld.

It was my daughter! First time ive heard her voice in many years.

I explained i needed the names of my grand daughters- so i could include them as beneficiaries in my will..

She refused to tell me--so i asked if she wanted to include them--her reply was they were all of an age to decide for themselves and she would tell them my contact details if they wanted to.

Ive heard nothing since.

years ago i would have been hurt--depressed--angry even: but i learned to live with it.

Nothing else i can do. But blood is thicker than water.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Thanks for sharing your situation Stan. Can't wait for Watchtower religion to implode and families restored.

Greg Tuckett writes about some issues with fading.

"I must say this seems to depend on your congregation or area you live in. I was a publisher and never got baptized, but a few friends of mine who also drifted away were pretty much left alone to do so. I did have a few elders pester me into coming back when I would bump into them, but I chose not to explain my reasons why because I knew it would most likely put my family who was still part of the congregation in a difficult position, most likely being viewed as bad associations by association if you know what I mean.

But saying that, I have known others who belonged to different congregations who have been pestered by the elders until they have given the reasons why they have left, and this always leads to them being disfellowshipped. Unfortunately, this seems to be the case more often than not and was the very reason I started questioning the beliefs in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit