Clever Misdirection

by TD 16 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD

I was looking at the (mostly) wrong answers to a riddle that's making the rounds on social media and thought it was a good example of how something simple (In this case, grade school math) can be distorted with words

The riddle goes like this:

----------

I bought a cow For $800.

I sold it for $1000.

I bought it again for $1100.

I sold it again for $1300

How much did I earn?

----------

Here is a more subtle example of the same thing:

----------

Three people split a lunch tab of $30. Each of them pays $10

On her way back to the table, the server realizes she's overcharged them by $5.

It's not possible to split $5 evenly between three people, so she returns $1 to each of them and keeps $2 for herself

When the manager finds out, she asks:

"Okay. The three customers ended up paying $9 each and you have $2. That's only $29. Where's the extra dollar?"

----------

Following the semantic flow leads to a wrong answer in both cases and there's probably a lesson in there somewhere

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

That second example is the trickiest. The key is to take what the actual bill was (25) and add the tip (27 or 9x3). add the 3 she gave back =$30. The slippery part is the tip, it's actually included in the 27 and not a separate expense.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

First one: $400

But I wouldn’t say “earned it”. It’s a trade, I’d call it profit.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    I bought a cow For $800.
    I sold it for $1000.
    I bought it again for $1100.
    I sold it again for $1300

uses own money = $800

sells for $1000 = profit $200

buys at $1100...uses $200 profit plus adds another $100 of his own money

has $900 invested in own money

sells for $1300, minus $900 of invested money

profit $400

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

As it relates to Bible prophecy, count the money (prophits) at the end of the day.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Yes. Always follow the money,

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Pete you're overthinking it, nothing to do with tip. The three dollars were subtracted resulting in 27 and the remaining $2 to be consistent should also have been, resulting in 25. The manager subtracted 3 and then added 2 for some bizarre reason.

• jhine
    jhine

I think that the answer to the first one is $300 .

Jan

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Fisherman:

As it relates to Bible prophecy, count the money (prophits) at the end of the day.

The only way this relates to 'Bible prophecy' is that both are examples of misdirection.

• TD
    TD

Good answers

Both riddles attempt to trick the reader into committing an accounting error.

Here's an actual example (From Facebook) of how the "I bought a cow" riddle does that:

----------

First, the riddle says I bought a cow for $800. Thereafter I sold it for $1000. So I make $1000-$800 = $200.

Now the 3rd statement says I bought it again for $1100. Here if you see, I have bought the same cow again for $1100. So I had a loss of $100 as previously the cow was sold for $1000 and bought again at $1100.

Next statement of the riddle says I sold it again for $1300. So now I have made $1300-$1100=$200 in this transaction.

So I made $200 – $100 + $200 = $300.

----------

The problem with the explanation above is that the $1100 figure has been subtracted twice, which in this case, results in a $100 error.

On an actual balance sheet, you would have Sales of $2300 and Expenses of $1900, giving a bottom line of +$400

The misdirection in the second riddle is entirely in the last line, where the manager adds the $2 to the $27 to arrive at a completely meaningless figure.

$30 was collected, of which $3 was given as change and $2 was kept as a tip leaving $25 as the actual cost of the meal. The order in which the $3 and $2 are subtracted doesn't matter as long as they're both subtracted.

The point here is that even the simplest of things can be obfuscated. Math cuts through bullshit like a machete, but misdirection takes many other forms.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit