Is the USA gradually moving to a majority of citizens being non-religious

by Reasonfirst 26 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

REASONFIRST:

I think to a degree this must be true since the parents of Baby Boomers (big church goers) are almost all gone and many Baby Boomers themselves are passing away!

When these people died they also stopped contributing (and this is the problem the Witness religion is also facing).. However, in spite of this there are still people here and there who attend. Of course, there are immigrants who are churchgoers. But, I do not imagine they are filling the contribution boxes like people years ago!

In fact, some needy are expecting help or assistance from the church itself or other parishioners!.. I know of a lady who got involved with some ‘church’ and tried to get me to go there. I said No thanks!.. She later on was persuaded to take a woman into her home who ended up being a squatter!! What a hard time she had finally getting rid of this person!

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Riley,

We are seeing once again the suggestion that only religious people know how to behave themselves.

As if!

Particularly those introduced to Christianity during the 18th and 19th Centuries quickly caught on to the hypocrisy of the whole thing.

For example, the newly converted Māori people in New Zealand were very quick to note that the Ten Commandments took a definite second place between Monday morning and midnight Saturday - then got sent off on an indefinite Leave of Absence whenever there was a war on!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Rivergang - We are seeing once again the suggestion that only religious people know how to behave themselves.”

It stems from the old authoritarian idea that deep down, humanity is bad and needs to be kept on a short leash for its own damn good, and the only really effective short leash is a strict, inflexible religious environment.

Naturally, people raised that way are typically only able to see affirmation of this, when they and their immediate peers display “sinful” tendencies, and the fear of divine (or, more often than not, societal) retribution seems to be the only thing keeping them being even worse.

We all judge others (consciously or otherwise) based on our own example, because we can’t see into anyone else’s head.

Nobody wants to actually believe that they’re worse than the people around them, so the only other alternative for someone raised that way is to assume that everyone else is just as shitty as they are, if not more so (not to mention that, to a hammer, sooner or later everything starts to look like a nail).

Naturally, they come to the conclusion that people reject religion simply because they just want an excuse to be blatantly “sinful”, because if they didn’t, they’d become good churchgoin’ folk (duh).

Know how I know?

’Cause that was me.

Know how I figured out I was wrong?

’Cause the older I got (and particularly after my kids were born), I observed firsthand - unexpectedly and repeatedly - that the vast majority of people, including the nonreligious, were way more decent and “moral” than they’d ever been given credit for.

Regardless of where they spent their Sunday mornings.

• DamnTheTorpedoesFullSpeedAhead
    DamnTheTorpedoesFullSpeedAhead

"Is the USA gradually moving to a majority of citizens being non-religious" this was a subject for discussion here 20 years ago.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The death of religion.

Couldn't be 1 day to soon.

And their toxic, damaging policies.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Mind control is just a horrible thing.

Someone was saying the other day I forget where it is. But they were relating how just going "PIMO" in itself is an accomplishment.

Especially if you're a born-in JW.

Just shaking-off evil indoctrination is something to be happy with.

Brainwashing.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

ALOT of them died during covid since the Jesus vaccine was not effective.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit