Hip Replacement Surgery

by titch 23 Replies latest social physical

• titch
    titch

Thank you, Mr. Finkelstein!

Titch

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Hi, titch,how about telling us about your hip replacement ? As I am about to receive one on the 26th of Feb.2021.

I have had a problem with my hip for "god knows" how long with osteoarthritis and it has deteriorated a lot these last few months in both pain and mobility I am 81 years old .And I appreciated the comments to your post about this.

But if you can add your experience I would appreciate it.And anybody else who might like to respond.

Thank you.

• waton
    waton
    Finkel stein (RIP) : I would get a second opinion to make sure that's the problem, if it is reconfirmed I would go ahead with the surgery.

I had the operation on one side ~3 years ago. Last month the others side started to ache too, But the mobility was not affected like in the longstanding development in the right leg. so: I made a doctor's appointment to get the X rays done to send me off to the surgeon, eager to be painless, but before the date came up, the pain had vanished ***. so, make sure,

Because other problems might be becoming to the fore with the trauma. Mine was fine, have passed into my 10 th decade since then, active every day.

*** It was a natural healing, how do we know/? because Armageddon obviously has not passed, despite the repeated "soon" wt inc promises.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I've sat through the medical research side of things:

- There is no replacement for your real original hip, a good surgeon will get it down with precision, but it does not flex the same way, does not conduct heat the same way etc.

- If you do need it done, get a good surgeon, it may be routine, but if they cut and file too much from your leg bone you will have continuous problems. Your body does not adapt to the difference.

- Make sure you get the latest technology, talk to your doctor. In the US metal-on-metal is no longer FDA approved, but it's still done in Europe, Canada and other socialized medicine systems because of its low cost, if you live there, you may want to consider private insurance or taking a plane ride to the US.

Plastic likewise has issues with buildup of plastic shavings. Full ceramic is currently the gold standard and there are some carbon fiber options in development. There are also some procedures that have started using more bone-preserving procedures, this may or may not be applicable, but if your doctor doesn't know about these options, or tells you they're unnecessary, get another doctor.

• waton
    waton
    it does not flex the same way, does not conduct heat the same way etc.AM

true, to this day I prefer now to balance on the un operated leg, if a hands free one leg stand is required. but lifting, walking, jogging is limp free, back to 30 years ago.

• titch
    titch

Smiddy3: Well, where to begin...where? OK, I had the procedure in the middle of February of 2020. The operation took only about an hour, perhaps an hour and 15 minutes. I stayed in the hospital only one day, and that was it! The day after the procedure, a hospital physical therapist had me up and walking the hallways---with a walker device, and into the physical therapy room, where I could practice going up and down short stairs. And, by the end of the day, I was ready to be released to go home. I didn't experience much pain at all, almost a level of 1 if at all. I took about 6 weeks to recuperate. By the end of 6 weeks I was ready to drive a car again. And, there is no pain in that hip joint (the right one). I still experience some pain in the left hip, so I know that I'll probably have to have that one done sometime in early 2021. About twice a week, during the first 4 weeks, I had a physical therapist and an occupational therapist come to my residence, to have me do some exercises to help improve the healing processes. So, that helps. I'm not sure what country that you live in, Smiddy3, so I don't know what kind of insurance that you have. If you're 81, and live in the United States, you no doubt have Medicare. Or, if you are in the U.K., you probably have insurance coverage through your National Health Services. Take advantage of whatever services that you have, in your country.

One thing that I will mention: At the hospital, I was provided with some pain-killing prescriptions---with the admonition to use them ONLY IF THEY ARE NEEDED. If I did not need them, because of having a little bit of pain, then I was cautioned to not take any. One prescription drug that was given was Hydrocodone, which is an opioid-based drug. The second day, a nurse came by and asked if I was experiencing any pain. I told him, well, just a little bit. He had me take two pills of the Hydrocodone. That was a mistake. I didn't realize that even ONE pill can make a person drowsy. Just one. And, he had me take 2 of those puppies. So, my admonition is, if you are not experiencing any pain, or just a little---DO NOT TAKE ANY HYDROCODONE. Take only what pain-relieving medication that is needed for your own circumstances. Otherwise, the procedure was successful, in my case. Now, it's a matter of getting the left side done, sometime in early 2021.

Best Regards to You, and all of those who have responded to my OP

Titch.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Thank you titch for your reply and I will take the advice of all of you as needed.

I live in Australia and am covered.

• titch
    titch

Smiddy3: Glad to be helpful, with my comments. And, since you are "down there" in Australia, I'll say---Happy beginning of Summer! (For you, a Southern Hemisphere resident)

Titch.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I will say that my cousin had a knee replacement done in January of this year and she said that the recovery was worse for the knee than the hip replacement she previously had done.

It does tend to be rather routine. My MIL has had one done and I hardly heard a peep out of her and she's high maintenance! She very much enjoyed the personal attention at her physical therapy sessions, so that is very important to a good recovery.

About opioids: cutting into bone can be intensely painful. Opioids are recommended for severe pain for a limited period of time. It is okay to take opioids in hospital or for a few days afterward if necessary. If you're still in pain at that point, you should definitely tell your doctor because that might indicate other complications. Your pain should go down steadily.

You can take a half a pill and see what that does before you take a whole pill if you are worried about opioids. I've been through emergency hip surgery with my father from a car wreck and my husband has had spinal surgery. Both of them were given opioids in hospital with the dosage adjusted down steadily before discharge. Home prescriptions were lower dosage and limited. Then they limited it themselves even further with a dosage before bed for sleep the last to go, and then switched to ibuprofen as soon as possible.

It's standard here to get post-OP pain meds that are self-dosing immediately after surgery. You get a little plunger to hit when you're in pain and it will release more drugs, but only up to a preset amount. Research has shown that people use less drugs when they are self-administered.

Not to belabor the point, but opioid pain medications have a time and a place and that is after major surgery in hospital and a short time thereafter. If the pain continues there may be something wrong and you should see your doctor.

In general, though, it's a well-tolerated surgery and I've never heard anyone regret having it done. In fact, people are usually relieved at not being in constant pain and become more active.

Best of luck!

GT

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Dad just fell in a gas station restroom Monday. He broke the femoral head right off. Looking at replacement surgery Thursday. When you get to be his age and health its not an easy recovery. My advice is if given a choice, get it done when you can enjoy life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit