Please could you give me your opinions on this statement? . . .

by Miss Worldly 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Londo111
    Londo111

I wish I had been so smart! Instead I put my head in the lion's mouth.

According to the elder's handbook, if it turns out an elder has done something worthy of a judicial committee before his appointment, and several years have elapsed, then not only might he escape a judicial committee, he might retain his position.

If I had known this bit from the elder's handbook, I would have never come forward as a rank and file member and voluntary confessed private matters to those who in reality have no business hearing what I'd rather keep private, much less trying me for it.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Not indicative of a dent in the armor at all. I agree with what LisaRose said:

I find even true hard core believers will hide things, they sort of rationalize the behavior in their mind, it doesn't mean they are having doubts.

I've known of a number of elders who did not report their own serious (according to JW policy) sins, yet they were 100% believers.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

slimboyfat - "Most JWs have stuff they 'should' tell elders but don't. To be a JW means learning to be a hypocrite and compartmentalise. This doesn't necessarily indicate lack of belief or commitment. In fact the act of rationalisation along these lines probably indicates still taking the whole thing seriously. "

Yup.

Seems like the most honest ones are the ones who get burned the most for it.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''Telling the elders'', is only one of their control mechanisms. It's all a bunch of bull $shit, or politics. If God knows your whole heart, mind and soul, their is no need to have elders run your business.

On a side note, about elders committing past sins, transgressions. Yes, it is true. If an elder has indeed committed a past sin and 2 or 3 years has passed, then, and only then, only are ONLY elders excused from any judicial action or deletion of their appointments. The elder(s) who transgressed, can retain their title. So yes, elders are above the law, in a way.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

. . . . 'I have prayed, and confessed my sins to my God, I'm not telling them (the Elders) anything'. .

Could this be a significant sign that there maybe a small dent in the armour of an active JW? Or is it just a case of 'keep your nose out' ?

I think that is indeed a "significant sign". First of all, it indicates that person is thinking on their own vs. toeing the JW line. It also seems evident that they do not "trust" the elders. The Borg condemns independent thinking.

I think there are many JWs beginning to awaken to the fact that 1) the Elders are nothing special (no hocus pocus divine guidance); 2) the GB are just men too (no "hotline" to God to get all the right answers. These JWs are still in for the social connection and because "it's better than any other religion". Another common line I've heard is that "JWs are the closest thing" to the Truth.

Doc

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Miss Worldly, I would like to add that as stated, the ONLY power the elders

have is the power you give them to control YOUR life.

As a single white male of the species, I have learnt that, FINALLY!!, and

am now happy and fulfilled in my life. Physically, Emotionally and Socially.

I have personally seen examples where bros and sis' have blossomed

when they stop succumbing to the guilt and power ascribing trip.

Best Regards to you

jtg

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

It seems they have at least one article or assembly talk a year that states that "serious sins" (dfing offenses) have to be confessed to the elders in order to gain forgiveness.

Every time I have heard this line of uncastrated male bovine excrement from them I always ask someone near me, "When are the confessionals going to begin being built in the KH so we can go to confession?"

• Miss Worldly
    Miss Worldly

JTG - having never been nor never will be a JW, I do see your point about piling on the guilt. I can see it as plain as day. I'm sure it is used as a tool for control. Guilt and fear seem to go hand in hand.

The guilt propels the confession, but confession holds the fear of losing everything and everyone.

So confessing only to God eases both the guilt and the fear? As well as not rocking the boat, causing trouble for yourself and having everyone knowing your business?

Magnum and Lisa Rose - I understand what you mean about rationalising their thoughts, but could this mean that, in their mind, they know, their 'sin' is something that wouldn't even raise an eyebrow in the non-JW world? Or that the sin, if confessed, would lead to losing everything? . . . Hmmm, I guess that really depends on the sin! Sorry, I think I've answered my own question there!!!

I am sorry if this seems like rambling, I find it easier to arrange my thoughts by writing them down, if that makes any sense whatsoever! I'm trying to keep it short. And Thank you all once again for taking the time to answer my query.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Straightforward Bible guidance on the matter, based on these three verses -

(Matthew 18:15-17) "Moreover, if your brother commits a sin, go and reveal his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, so that on the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector."

If one or more persons have actually witnessed you committing a sin, they would confront you. If you stated that you were sorry for transgressing and had asked God for forgiveness, (not them!) the matter is ended - no one else hears about it!

If no one has observed you committing a sin, (not a criminal act) contrition & forgiveness are between you and your God - not a group of men acting on behalf of their masters in New York.

Do J.W.'s confess every little "sin" they commit each day in life, to elders? Then why just tell them about bigger sins?

The Org condemns the Catholic one-to-one confessional - but has their own "gang" confessional with two or three elders.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So God, the Almighty, All knowing, All powerful, needs mere imperfect humans to help him decide whether to forgive another human??

Hmmm...makes sense??!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit