Just because something is old, does not mean it is "Special" or "Sacred" or "Valuable"

by stuckinarut2 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

A thought occurred to me that simply because something is old does not make it valuable or worthy of sacred reverence.

The bible is held up as sacred just because it is "old" and apparently preserved.

But, that does not make sense. If in thousands of years someone finds a notebook of my scribbles or sketches that I threw away, that doesn't elevate them to "valuable status" simply because they survived. They were thrown away because they were worthless.

Or if an archaeologist finds an ancient broken bit of pottery that was used for garbage disposal, it doesn't change its status from what it once was - a garbage bin.

I guess what I am trying to ask is, why is it that we as humans give value to writings just because they are old?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STUCKINARUT:

The Bible is supposedly "wisdom". It's also a record of history and genealogy. That's why it was preserved.

I guess the reason old things seem valuable is because they are a window into a time past. Lots of what archaeologists find are mundane things but are valuable in the context of what they tell about the age.

Many years ago, I played a tape made of songs compiled over a supposedly erased tape. When I played the tape to its very end I heard my sister's voice playing with one of her children. I cherished it as a little piece of time remembered.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I love old shit I find it all fascinating whether a 2000yr old hair comb or the earliest graffiti from an ancient Banksi but never again will I live by it.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The fundamentalist reasoning that the bible's age makes it special and from god is laughable. True, the bible is very old and it shows. Sh*t contained in much of the bible is so unbelievable, fanciful, offensive, macabre, and grotesque. It contains too many stories of fuk'ed up, immoral men that were considered 'god's friends', "faithful men of old". Women are pretty much and afterthought in bible mythology. Sure it has some words of wisdom sprinkled in also but "even a blind squirrel finds and acorn once in awhile".

I now consider the bible Hebrew mythology and nothing more. Oh and isn't Satan old?

just saying!

• Zoos
    Zoos

One of the reasoning points offered by WT that the bible is the WORD OF GOD is that it has survived all these years through so many attempts to suppress or destroy it.

With that kind of reasoning, it makes the bible special, sacred... valuable.

All in how you twist it.

• Simon
    Simon

We have the earlier stories that much of the bible was based on ... so not sure where that leaves the bible in terms of being "special". And the bible we have hasn't really been preserved letter-for-letter like some people would have us believe ... there are lots of variations and even entire books added or removed over the centuries.

You can see how history is quickly evolved and bastardized by looking at Scientology and what they believve about Loser Ron Hubbard.

What makes a book special? People thinking it is ...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great replies!

• waton
    waton

Majestic language: " In the beginning God created heaven and Earth", preferably read with Bach organ playing in the background...... and wrong.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Old Scotch? I love scotch.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Betty White is adorable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit